VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Ferrah

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am trying to get this old horse race simulator working. It's a really basic program that worked well for me in XP, but won't work for me in Vista. I'd really like to be able to use the program again! I tried to use DOSBox to open it but it won't work for me, so I'm not sure if I am doing something wrong. It's a .zl9 file if that helps. I can also send it to someone to see if they can maybe find out how to get it to run or maybe find another way I can use it. Thanks!

Reply 1 of 10, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

A Google search reveals that the file extension was probably changed by ZoneAlarm for security purposes. I don't know if that means it scanned positive for some virus or trojan, or if it just does that regardless. At any rate, assuming what you have is a DOS program and not a Windows program, a .ZL9 extension won't work for an executable in DOSBox. You will need to change the extension, most likely to .EXE, or possibly .COM (if the first 2 bytes of the file are the letters "MZ", it should be .EXE as a general rule).

Reply 3 of 10, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Well, I suggest you look/ask for help where you got the app that's forcing those extensions onto executables. I would not tolerate that kind of thing on my OS... there are plenty of active scanning programs and such that don't require files to be renamed. Maybe there is a way you can make exceptions.

Reply 4 of 10, by Ferrah

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I finally figured out how to get the extension changed. I think my security program changed them.
I cant contact the person who made this program for me because he has passed away and there are very few copies of this left. I want to save the program!
Anyway I have the files changed to exe but now I can't run them. It come sup saying that I need to change to 32 bit or 64 bit version of the program, not sure if I will be able to use this with Vista? It worked fine in XP.

Reply 6 of 10, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
Ferrah wrote:

Anyway I have the files changed to exe but now I can't run them. It come sup saying that I need to change to 32 bit or 64 bit version of the program, not sure if I will be able to use this with Vista? It worked fine in XP.

How did you try to start it? Directly, or through DOSBox?

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions