VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by dmferd

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello

I hope I'm doing this right. So it goes, I'm using DosBox 0.72 with Vista 64 bit and trying to run a program called menu manager (www.fhgi.com, it's under research centre then the tab software). When I run the program it starts out fine but when I select the ingredients it tells me

Device I/O error in module NUMFORM at address 228D:0057

As I'm not really a computer guy, I have no idea what this means or how to fix it. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Dmferd

Reply 1 of 11, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

not really on topic, but I tried it on vista32bit and it just works fine without DOSbox at all...

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 2 of 11, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Menu Manager is a compiled BASIC program that apparently does an OPEN "NUL" command. DOSBox does not fully support using devices in the manner that some BASIC programs use them.

You can read more about the issue in this thread, where QBix has provided an alternative build of DOSBox that might allow the program to work without the error. Please remember that DOSBox's primary goal is to support games, and support for other kinds of applications is not a priority.

Reply 4 of 11, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

I guess it's not available now... perhaps it was a limited-time offer. 😀

The program will work if you run it under a real DOS booted in DOSBox (or other virtualization software for that matter).

Reply 5 of 11, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

I think I deleted it during a clean up.
Does this dmenu also try to set the attributes? as I think that detection thing was fixed ages ago.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 6 of 11, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Yep, the error results from setting the attributes on the device with unsupported IOCTL function 1. I think BASIC typically does that when you open devices for I/O. Faking success of the function seems to allow programs like this one to work, but dunno what side-effects it could cause.

Reply 7 of 11, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

the unknown side effects was my main reason not to add it directly to the CVS.
might be a candidate to go into a beta build oneday.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 9 of 11, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

No you run DOSBox and then install MS-DOS (or other DOS variant) inside of it.

or you use another VM program such as Virtual PC or Vmware and install a DOS variant in there.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 11 of 11, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I thought you already had the program? Do you mean the OS?

You need MS-DOS or FreeDOS if you are looking for the OS.

As for the program you'll have to figure out what you want to run. I can't help you there.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline