VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by bur

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It seems like if you have no PC speaker it can be emulated with the soundcard, is that true?

Thing is, I have a PC speaker and still rather have it emulated with the soundcard. Reason being it sounds a little awkward for today's ears 😅 and also there is a very audible *click* if no sound is played for 3-4 seconds and the speaker shuts down (or whatever it's called).

Reply 1 of 44, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

dosbox emulates the pc speaker on the soundcard.

and it can turn itself off if it isn't used. Though I fixed the click, but maybe I didn't commit that code yet.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 2 of 44, by bur

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

dosbox emulates the pc speaker on the soundcard.

And how do I activate this? When setting pcspeaker=true in the config it played the sound through the real pc speaker.

edit: Haha, sorry. It really played through the soundblaster I just didn't notice. 😕 Now that's a good emulation...

Maybe that "click" is fixed in the patched builds? I have the official 0.72 version.

Reply 5 of 44, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

btw do you have a special game in which it is very audable ? It's been ages since I tested the fix

Reply 6 of 44, by bur

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm currently playing Secret Agent from Apogee and since the speaker is only used when jumping or shooting the sound often gets turned off with that clicking sound.
I checked and it also happens withCrystal Caves from Apogee. Both games use the same engine I think so maybe that's why.

Reply 7 of 44, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

And here is the legal place to download those games:

http://www.3drealms.com/downloads.html

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 9 of 44, by jal

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bur wrote:

It's only been the shareware at the above links. 😀

As long as those versions also experience the click, no problem there I guess 😀.

JAL

Reply 10 of 44, by bur

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

What I meant was the links I posted also only lead to the shareware. So there was no need to remove them. No problem though as that sound problem appears in all episodes (incl shareware) like you said.

I just wanted to emphasize on the fact I hadn't broken a rule... 😉

Reply 11 of 44, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
bur wrote:

What I meant was the links I posted also only lead to the shareware.

I know it is nitpicking, but there is a difference between a license holder making the software available for free from their own site, and someone else distributing copies of the same software from another site. Unless that someone has obtained the distribution rights, it is not legal...

So read my words again:

MiniMax wrote:

And here is the legal place to download those games:

http://www.3drealms.com/downloads.html

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 12 of 44, by jal

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
MiniMax wrote:

I know it is nitpicking, but there is a difference between a license holder making the software available for free from their own site, and someone else distributing copies of the same software from another site. Unless that someone has obtained the distribution rights, it is not legal...

I think you get on murky legal grounds there, but I agree it's safer to link from the official page. In general though, it depends on the redistribution rights the author/publisher grants (usually in the copyright file).

JAL

Reply 13 of 44, by Kippesoep

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The VENDOR.DOC file included with the games explicitly states:

Everyone can -- and is encouraged! -- to copy, upload and generally pass around this Program without charging for it.

That means it's perfectly legal to host or download copies of the first (shareware) episode anywhere, provided it's unaltered (as mentioned in that same file). The other episodes are not shareware and there it doesn't apply, of course.

Reply 14 of 44, by Tsyu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Qbix wrote:

btw do you have a special game in which it is very audable ? It's been ages since I tested the fix

It's audible in pretty much every game that uses the PC speaker. If you need a specific game to test this, I would suggest King's Quest I (AGI) or II. The click occurs about one second after every tune and sound effect. This happens in both 0.72 and CVS.

I have posted in image that shows what the output looks like. Take note of the highlighted section, as it shows the cause of the click.

I hope this gets fixed in 0.73.

Attachments

• SpeakerClick.png
    Filename
    SpeakerClick.png
    File size
    386 Bytes
    Views
    File comment
    PC speaker output from part of the title music of King's Quest II. Note the highlighted section.
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 15 of 44, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

yes, that is the exact turning off of the speaker. the jump at the back is the click you hear.

Reply 16 of 44, by MikeSol

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

In Wizardry 7, when you choose internal speaker as your sound effects source you will hear a popping noise after each effect is played. I am assuming this is the clicking noise discussed here. I just started a thread about this problem recently over in the games section.

Reply 17 of 44, by Tsyu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Qbix wrote:

yes, that is the exact turning off of the speaker. the jump at the back is the click you hear.

Right. I was really referring to the section between the sound and the "pop." As you can probably tell, it is the part during which the speaker is silent, but still activated. I don't think a real PC speaker makes that popping sound. I would think the samples of this section should be centered like the ones after the deactivation. This would get rid of that annoying click. I've posted an edit of my previous image to show you what I mean.

Attachments

• SpeakerCorrect.png
    Filename
    SpeakerCorrect.png
    File size
    362 Bytes
    Views
    File license

Reply 18 of 44, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

well our pc speaker emulation keeps it's last value active. (so that the low part). Then it detects that it hasn't changed in a "long" time and turns itself off. (which results in a jump to zero).

The correct image would be even a bit different.
It would be a slowly converging line towards zero. so when it turn off there is no click.

Reply 19 of 44, by Tsyu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Qbix wrote:

well our pc speaker emulation keeps it's last value active. (so that the low part). Then it detects that it hasn't changed in a "long" time and turns itself off. (which results in a jump to zero).

The correct image would be even a bit different.
It would be a slowly converging line towards zero. so when it turn off there is no click.

That would work if the converging line doesn't end up making a "humming" artifact. SpeakerCorrect2.png shows what I believe you're talking about.

Another way to fix the popping would be to do what the Tandy 3-voice emulation seems to do--place the zero point in the center of the waveform. This would eliminate the click, as well as the need for a converging line. SpeakerCorrect3.png shows what this would look like.

Edit:

Qbix wrote:

So you're sort of saying that the speaker emulation code places the silence at either the top or bottom of the waveform, depending on when the silence occurs? I'm asking this because I have never seen the silence happen at the top of the waveform. Is it even possible to perform any of my suggestions without a complete overhaul of the code?

Edit again: Just saw wd's post. I'll let this rest.

Attachments

• SpeakerCorrect3.png
    Filename
    SpeakerCorrect3.png
    File size
    347 Bytes
    Views
    File license
  • SpeakerCorrect2.png
    Filename
    SpeakerCorrect2.png
    File size
    399 Bytes
    Views
    File license
Last edited by Tsyu on 2009-05-03, 22:32. Edited 3 times in total.