Common searches

DosBox & MIDI

Topic actions

First post, by Salk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello!

I have a PC with two internal soundcards, one of which is dedicated to MIDI (Yamaha SW1000XG).

I am successfully running Ultima Underworld with DosBox but I suspect that the music played is not produced by my MIDI soundcard.

Could some of you be so kind and help me understand how I am supposed to configure DosBox in order to make sure that games I run will detect and use the right soundcard to play music?

I have run the game setup and chose Roland MT-32/LAPC-1 which is detected according to the uwsound utility. If I run the setup again and change the sound card from Rolan MT-32/LAPC-1 to Soundblaster, the music remains identical.

Thanks for all the help you can give me! 😉

Reply 1 of 4, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

inside dosbox type
mixer /listmidi
get the number of the midi card you want to use and enter that on the config= in dosbox.conf

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 2 of 4, by Salk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

A small update:

I am successful at finally have the game play high quality MIDI music using my SW1000XG card (someone in another topic incorrectly said it could not be used for music in DOS games - it certainly works with DosBox!).

The "problem" was apparently that I was launching the game from the wrong directory.

Reply 4 of 4, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah, if you're using Windows as your host OS then DOSBox will use whatever you have selected in Windows as the default MIDI device when you select Sound Canvas/General MIDI/MPU-401 in games. It will also do it for MT-32/LAPC-I but it won't sound good for a lot of MT-32 games unless you have a real MT-32 connected.