Common searches

Dosbox & Scalers

Topic actions

First post, by Salk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello!

I looked through the read me file and tried to search some for some infos but to no avail so I hope you experts here can give me a hand with some questions.

1) Which scaler is the best to use with DosBox?

2) Do scalers work in both full screen and windowed mode?

3) I was playing Ultima Underworld and tried the following: normal3x, hq3x and super2xsai. I loaded the same saved game to see if there were noticable differences but I found none at all. Is that really possible?

Thank you very much for your help! 😉

Reply 1 of 43, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

1) Which scaler is the best to use with DosBox?

One that just duplicates pixels, if at all (like normal2x) as that's SOOOO oldschool.

2) Do scalers work in both full screen and windowed mode?

They work the same in fullscreen as in a window, IF they work. You might
need the "forced" parameter for some game resolutions (or some text
interpolation).

Reply 3 of 43, by Kippesoep

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

1) It depends on personal preference. Personally, I very much prefer normal2x/normal3x because it does indeed give the most authentic-looking result. I like my pixels big and blocky.

3) The visible effect of the scalers depends on the source material. Check out the comparison in the DOSBoxWiki article on scalers.

My site: Ramblings on mostly tech stuff.

Reply 4 of 43, by Salk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello again and thanks for your answers!

I actually checked the DOSBoxWiki article before posting here (as mentioned, I tried to document myself first) and that's exactly why I was wondering if the scalars I chose worked at all, since there was no visible result and the pixelation was to my eyes identical (that is, very strong) no matter my choice for scaler.

And yes, for my personal taste I'd like to reduce pixelation as much as possible so what I look for is a scaler that does that.

Could it be possible that the lack of any result depends on the specific game I am playing?

Thanks again for your kindness!

Reply 5 of 43, by Kippesoep

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you use the rgb2x or tv2x (or 3x) scalers, the result should be very visible even if they are not to your liking. Quick experimenting shows that the scalers operate mostly on high-contrast areas where a staircase pattern would be visible in lines. They don't do much for gradients or for dithering and indeed for near-photographic material. As such, you're much likely to see the effects on in-game text and for older, 16-colour games.

My site: Ramblings on mostly tech stuff.

Reply 7 of 43, by Salk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello!

Here I have taken 3 screenshots using 3 different scalers.

While I was playing I could see a difference only when using the rgb3x (and similar like tv3x because they'd display the black lines/dots so I know they were active and working but in the rgb3x screenshot saved not even that shows!).

I tried also to force the scaler and what happened was that it would not even work in full screen. I set the fullscreen option to false and tried again: with hq3x would start in an enormous window which could not fit my screen, with hq2x the window is still very big but I can almost see what I am typing and when I run the game, the game window goes back to normal size (320x240, I guess?)

I guess noone there could try this game locally and see if all this can be reproduced?

Thanks again!

Attachments

• uw_hq3x.png
    Filename
    uw_hq3x.png
    File size
    18.74 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Screenshot taken at Full Screen, scaler = hq3x
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • uw_normal3x.png
    Filename
    uw_normal3x.png
    File size
    18.64 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Screenshot taken at Full Screen, scaler = normal3x
    File license
  • uw_rgb3x.png
    Filename
    uw_rgb3x.png
    File size
    18.63 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Screenshot taken at Full Screen, scaler = rgb3x
    File license
Last edited by Salk on 2009-05-14, 08:12. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 10 of 43, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

with hq3x would start in an enormous window which could not fit my screen, with hq2x the window is still very big but I can almost see what I am typing and when I run the game, the game window goes back to normal size (320x240, I guess?)

Means the scalers are in effect (640x400 textmode gets you a 1280x800
resolution for the x2 scalers obviously, which you call "very big").

Reply 11 of 43, by Salk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, yes... I have a rather old LCD monitor and I run at 1024 x 768 so I guess all is relative.

I see the effect of the scaler when the DosBox window appears but, even with the forced option, no visible differences can be noted (as my screenshots show).

However I can confirm that when I now used the tv3x scaler, I could at least see in the window game the orizontal black lines which are not there in the screenshot I take (I tried blowing the image up to see closely) so I wonder if the screenshots even keep the use of scalers in account?

Reply 13 of 43, by Salk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, yes... I thought I could use DosBox's own functionality to take screenshots (else why would there be such an option available at all? 😮 ).

However here I am attaching screenshots taken directly via print key and pasted on Paint (at least the black lines of the tv3x scaler here are visible).

Attachments

• Filename
    hq3x_forced.JPG
    File size
    88.88 KiB
    Downloads
    1430 downloads
    File comment
    hq3x forced
    File license
  • Filename
    normal3x_forced.JPG
    File size
    91.63 KiB
    Downloads
    1363 downloads
    File comment
    normal3x forced
    File license
  • Filename
    tv3x_forced.JPG
    File size
    113.1 KiB
    Downloads
    1229 downloads
    File comment
    tv3x forced
    File license

Reply 14 of 43, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

look at the arrows below the compass. and the lady
those are different,but the wall stuff doesn't however that isn't that much of a surprise though. It looks a bit random red stuff and random stays random.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 15 of 43, by Salk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Qbix, you're right!

Well spotted! I must say I did expect an all kind of impact on the pixelation by using a scaler like hq3x, mostly after looking at the Dosbox Wiki page.

Thank you very much for your help and support in all this!

Keep it up!