VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Things like this should not be in DOSBOX forums:

>Be sure to have installed Update 1 for VDMSound 2.0.4.

I remember some time ago (before coming to Vogons) that we had to explain that DOSBOX does NOT NEED VDMSound (there were people thinking opposite). This thread serves just to confuse beginners...
I understand that you have universal guidelines for all forums, but I do not think it is a good idea...

Mirek

Reply 2 of 6, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

No, VDMSound does not interfere, but it is like writing you must have installed Autocad and Microsoft Word and then arguing then this cause no harm. Yes, it is true (neither of them has any influence), but it is very misleading when some less experienced user has problems (and tries to act according to guidelines).

It is important when some newbie has problems. He will read your GUIDELINES and starts to think about problems in places where they could not be - e.g. reinstalling VDMSound (and VDMSound has nothing to do with DOSBOX).
Anyway, I am just betatester, if Harekiet & QBIx do not mind I can live with it. It is just that it is clearly incorrect here.

Mirek

Reply 3 of 6, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

I agree with mirek that "the follow these guidelines" should be updated a little to show a bit more about dosbox.

(and maybe note that dosbox and VDMsound strife to achief the same goal but do it in a different way and should/can be used independly of each other)

I remember the threads indeed where people started dosbox with "run with vdmsound"

It should be cleared out a bit before a new release will be made else there might be quite some troubled users.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 5 of 6, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Qbix I agree with mirek that "the follow these guidelines" should be updated a little to show a bit more about dosbox.

It was made way back when the board was still in formation. I actually asked Colin to change it quite some time back, since we were already dealing with non-VDMSound issues from the start.

The funny part is that mirekluza is the first to publicly mention this. The majority of people seem to ignore the guidelines completely, which is why we keep having to point it out and ask the same questions over and over and over...