VOGONS

Common searches

32 bit mode

Topic actions

First post, by mee

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I downloaded dosbox opened it, then downloaded police quest1 and three (which were single icons each) and dragged them onto the dosbox icon. It wouldn't put in the correct 8.3 filename they were supposed to be, so I typed it manually one was police~1 and the other was police~3, both of which it says have to be run in 32 bit mode, is that protected mode? I thought police quest 1 came out when all these was was dos, and I wouldn't have that problem with it. And does anyone know a place you can download some dos games from?

Reply 1 of 14, by icemann

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Correct me if I`m wrong here but I`m pretty damn sure that that corresponds to the graphics and not protected mode, inwhich case you`d need to change the settings in the options menu for it.

Reply 2 of 14, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

single icons???? have u tried opening them in windows??? I think they are self-extract archives... when running them they will create all the REAL game files....

Reply 6 of 14, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

While I wouldn't have used Snover's particular choice of words...I share his bewilderment.

Why do either of you think you can just drag icons on top of other icons and expect things to work properly? Even if it supports "drag'n'drop", you are dealing with DOS games which, with a rare few exceptions will require you to do some configuring before anything can be accomplished.

You can start with reading the ReadMe that comes with DosBox. Also, if the programs are in a .ZIP file or any other kind of archive, don't expect DosBox to run them from there. You will will to extract the files to a location on your hard drive before DosBox (or any other program) can "see" them.

Reply 7 of 14, by mee

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Why do either of you think you can just drag icons on top of other icons and expect things to work properly? Even if it supports "drag'n'drop", you are dealing with DOS games which, with a rare few exceptions will require you to do some configuring before anything can be accomplished.

You can start with reading the ReadMe that comes with DosBox.

I don't understand it really

it tells me I can mount drives, which is the same as dragging and dropping the file, it mounts the entire path, C:\documentsandsettings\username\desktop\dosbox, just it doesn't enter the correct filename to get it started, and when I enter it then it tells me it requires win32.

Reply 9 of 14, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by mee it tells me I can mount drives, which is the same as dragging and dropping the file, it mounts the entire path,

Don't trust it. I wish they actually hadn't added this as a feature. You really need to stick to
DOS standards when running titles with DosBox. Even if DosBox fully understands "long filenames, etc...", the DOS programs themselves wont.

...and when I enter it then it tells me it requires win32.

That seems to indicate that you are trying to run a Windows program within DosBox.

The best bet is to start over here. Pick a game, PQ1 for example (don't try troubleshoot more than one at a time...it causes headaches), un-archive it to an easy-to-find "DOS-recognizable" location (uses the 8+3 filename rules) like:

C:\FUN\PQ\PQ1

Keep the pathways (the directories) to locations that uses 8 characters or less in their name.

Presuming you would start with "Police Quest 1", you would unzip the files to C:\FUN\PQ\PQ1, then dig into that directory using Windows Explorer just to make sure they "arrived safely". If it creates a new folder in that directory, either use it (add it to the example pathway above) or grab all the files and folder inside of it and drag them back into the C:\FUN\PQ\PQ1 directory.

You would then start up DosBox and type MOUNT C C:\ and press Enter, then type C: and press Enter, then type CD FUN\PQ\PQ1.

Now you're in the actual game directory. Here, you either run the INSTALL/SETUP program to configure the game or run SIERRA to start it.

If it's configured properly, then it should run and you can adjust for speed using Ctrl+F11 or 12.

Reply 10 of 14, by mee

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Presuming you would start with "Police Quest 1", you would unzip the files to C:\FUN\PQ\PQ1,

I don't think they are zip files though, I downloaded winzip and scanned my drive for them, they don't show up in the list of files I can unzip. the rest I understand how to do.

Now you're in the actual game directory. Here, you either run the INSTALL/SETUP program to configure the game or run SIERRA to start it.

I have simearth which WAS a zip file, however when I try to run it says I need windows (3.1 in this case) guess I'll need win 3.x emulator too.

Reply 11 of 14, by parapente

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

mee these files seems to be SFX archives. I don't know if they are zip,rar or ace SFX archives but what I do know for these files is that you just have to double click them in windows, choose the path where you want them to unpack the files and click on the ok button.

Reply 12 of 14, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by mee I don't think they are zip files though, I downloaded winzip and scanned my drive for them, they don't show up in the list of files I can unzip. the rest I understand how to do.

Well, whatever they are, DosBox won't run them from within an archive. If you think they are already "expanded" (un-archived, whatever...), then list out the filenames for us, that should give an indication as to what the files are...

I have simearth which WAS a zip file, however when I try to run it says I need windows (3.1 in this case) guess I'll need win 3.x emulator too.

Yes, that would be the case.

Reply 13 of 14, by mee

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

ah yes thank you they are sfx archives (that's what it meant) now I just gotta figure out how to maximize the window and get in and out of it whenever I want, and do I need a win 3.1 emulator to play simearth? It tells me it requires it.