VOGONS

Common searches

Pentium MMX emulation - possible?

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 25 of 32, by Zorbid

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, I read some more to refresh my memory:

I was wrong about SSE being unable to work on chars. I didn't check it in details, but the SSE2 instructions are advertised as a superset of the MMX ones.

Using SSE2 could be a good option for most cases, but, since the MMX registers and some flags have to be manually cleared before x87 instructions are executed, (http://www.tommesani.com/MMXEMMS.html#), I'm almost certain that, even though not clearing them was risky, some programmers abused the functionality...

Reply 27 of 32, by OSH

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Maybe we want "so far get", because we need such emulation? I hope, somebody will have a good mind to make MMX emulation in DOSBOX. I'm not a programmer, and I can't but I'm sure this can DOSBOX great improve.
wd, you are DOSBOX creator and I have really much respect for you. But If you haven't time (or will) to make this emulation a reality, why you are so trenchant? Nobody ask you to make this emulation, nobody here bother you, why?

Reply 28 of 32, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

well we would have to maintain it if we put it inside the code.
Possibly relying on more dependencies (those libraries mentioned) and probably dealing with more asm in the source tree.

currently the DOSBox team doesn't see need for MMX, how easy or how hard it is to code. Hence we wish everybody success on coding it. but the chances of adding it to dosbox are rather slim, unless it is a very easy and doesn't introduce any new depencies.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 32 of 32, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ih8registrations wrote:

Did I say was going to code this? Are you pretending as if I had? No, and yes.

A narcissistic response, as it was Zorbid who talked about actually doing it.

Qbix, resume fear since you potentially stomped on Zorbid :p