VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by DaimlerT

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hi,
I just got a cool idea for some distant future release of DosBox.
Some old games (like Fantasy General) have cd music. It would be kinda cool if you could rip the music to mp3, name it in a certain fashion. (like track1.mp3 ....) and put it in the game cd directory (on the hard drive). If you could then simply mount the directory as a cd (as is already possible) and add a cmd line switch for it to look for mp3s in the cd directories root path and them add them as emulated cd tracks... that would kickass. ScummVM uses something VERY similar in games such as loom (think it was loom) which require cd...
let me know what you think.... just musing about the future.... and yes I know the DB Team has much more important features on their minds ATM...
dt

Reply 1 of 17, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Using combination Dosbox + Daemon Tools (CD emulator) + CD IMAGE OF THE GAME you can avoid using physical CD (and still have CD music).

I tried it with CD version oof Dark Sun 2 and it worked (well, but it requires a good computer - on my 1Ghz Athlon everything worked ok, but too slow). I guess that on 2 Ghz processor it could be playable.

Mirek

Reply 3 of 17, by DaimlerT

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

yea, thats what would be cool.
and mounting the image in dosbox could be accomplished with a batch file run from within dosbox (and yea I know I could use an external batchfile and load the game in db directly and automatically mount my image, but you loose the compressed part 🙁.
greetz
dt

Reply 6 of 17, by kode54

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Downloading full CD images with raw audio tracks. ...Okay, so I've only been doing this for the last 3-5 years. Before that, I lacked an internet connection, and I was downloading files to floppies at my school each week. Before that, at Kinko's at $6/hour.

ISO+MP3 is just a minor peeve I guess. I wouldn't mind it so much if everyone didn't use 112 or 128kbps. My preferred MP3 mode, if at all, is lame, using --alt-preset standard. Of course, I'll accept anything that's at least 192kbps, less if nothing else is available.

Oh, who am I kidding, I spent 4 hours hacking apart an encrypted game program to figure out the exact names and offset table to properly extract its 96kbps MP3 soundtrack.

I'm just nuts.

Reply 7 of 17, by DaimlerT

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

although a 192 Mp3 isnt lossless, I doubt very many people can tell the difference to the real thing on a standard computer system. since space is still an issue theses days, mp3s would be practical imho. not essential or anything but just neat.

Reply 10 of 17, by DaimlerT

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I already own the game (fantasy general) und ist merely because I am lazy when it comes to the computer. I really enjoy automating things I do by hand, so this just seem like a neat thing... 😀

Reply 11 of 17, by Profound_Darkness

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

all below is IMO

Slightly OT: I prefer lame setup to encode at 32kbps with variable bit rate at 0 so that the simple parts are very compact but you don't loose quality on the complex 320kbps parts 😀 Otherwise, if your going to encode something good in mp3 please use something better than 128!

on topic: I rather like the idea of iso+mp3 but I have one major peeve about it. There were dos games that had security information and iso files just don't retain that security so as an added difficulty in getting things working would be finding (or perhapse easier: making) cracks for the old game you just downloaded. You just know ppl will encode iso+mp3 even if you have to find the crack...

<mounts a dos game in daemon and go plays 😀 >

Reply 12 of 17, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Profound_Darkness wrote:

Slightly OT: I prefer lame setup to encode at 32kbps with variable bit rate at 0 so that the simple parts are very compact but you don't loose quality on the complex 320kbps parts 😀 Otherwise, if your going to encode something good in mp3 please use something better than 128!

LAME.exe --r3mix

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 13 of 17, by kode54

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Snover wrote:

LAME.exe --r3mix

r3mix.net is dead, and I know several who think --r3mix should join it. For some reason, I care enough to point out that they recommend --alt-preset standard. I don't really care much about MP3 anyway, as my current lossy format of the hour is MusePack. I might start caring more if I ever purchase a portable player, but that would be a waste of my money as I leave my house about once each week.... yeah.

Reply 15 of 17, by ryann

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

heh, yeah --r3mix is depreciated now. bleh, but i just changed grip to use lame --alt-preset standard instead. seems to work just as well and standards freaks don't bother me anymore 😉

- ryan

relax, turn around and take my hand

Reply 17 of 17, by kode54

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

List of recommended LAME compiles
List of recommended LAME settings

... I'm trying to find good, solid reasons now.

Hmm, a poll on whether --r3mix should be dropped.

Two completely different VBR tuning models. One still progressing, the other rather dead. Roel Van den Berge has not been heard of on the 'net for several years, and his domain was picked up by UltSearch.com, which is just barely starting to have an effect on its results at Google. r3mix.net is no longer the first result for searches on "mp3 quality."

Alas... I don't even encode MP3 files anymore, so why am I telling you what to use? 😜