Common searches

virtual pc

Topic actions

First post, by McEck

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hi,

in the last days i played around with virtual pc. but as i read here before, its not that good for gaming.

i noticed two problems:
1) the sound is always about 2 seconds late, really annoying.

2) i tried to play jagged alliance and magic carpet 2. runs fine, but after some time it hangs. after waiting a long time a "message box" appears at the top of the screen (in the virtual-pc-window) saying there where problems writing (or reading?) on drive c. seems strange to me because i played lands of lore before without that problem.

perhaps anyone knows these probs or even a solution.

or did any of you get the above games running in dosbox? in hagged alliance, i do not see the mouse (but i can use it) and i cant use the keyboard. magic carpet 2 will make dosbox quit.

greetz

Reply 1 of 3, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by McEck 1) the sound is always about 2 seconds late, really annoying.

Little you can do other than try to reduce the workload on your PC. Kill off all unnecessary programs running (real or virtual) and make the "Virtual PC" fullscreen before starting.

Reply 2 of 3, by Profound_Darkness

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

What version are ya running?

I have noticed that vpc version 4 was good for gaming in a windows environment (ran starcraft and a bunch of other win9x games nicely on the win2k machine that would crash sometimes from those games).

I noticed that vpc4 didnt emulate some things well however... vpc5 emulates hardware nicely now however things are WAY slow. Video functions and sound are just off. I think vpc4 was writen for slightly older computers while the code in vpc5 was meant to be run on winxp computers runing 2.5 or so ghz procs (eg: modern).

I am betting you are using vpc5 based on what you said about sound.

Also it *seems* that vpc uses different emulation routines based on what OS you tell it you are going to be running, you might try changing the client os (well, create a new VM and have it use an existing hard drive image) and see how that goes for games, might not help though.

Reply 3 of 3, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Profound_Darkness What version are ya running?

Was 4.3, now 5.1.

I have noticed that vpc version 4 was good for gaming in a windows environment

Preferred dual-boot for any titles that used Win9x.

I noticed that vpc4 didnt emulate some things well however... vpc5 emulates hardware nicely now however things are WAY slow.

More emulation, less virtualization.

I am betting you are using vpc5 based on what you said about sound.

Sound has always been a weak spot with VPC.