VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by gerainwong

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a Windows 95 compatible kids game. It's called Dr. Seuss Kindergarten (a 1998 CD-Game and it is an original disc not a downloaded game). My kid used to play it in my old PC. However, it was unable to run in my new PC. So I search the web and see what I can do about it. I found this software DOSBOX.
So I try to run it under DOSBOX 0.73. I did follow the 60 seconds guide to getting your games..... .But I can't get past step 5. I mounted a C drive for DOSBOX as suggested in the guide and I was able to mount my CD-ROM as suggested in the guide. And I was able to scan the CD within DOSBOX by typing D:\> dir and find the installation file which is called setup.EXE . But when I try to install the game within DOSBOX by typing
D:\> setup.exe
I got a message that says something like "This programe must be run under windows".

Is there a way I can modify the setup file so that I can install it within DOSBOX? Does it mean that it is not a DOS game, therefore I can't use DOSBOX to run it?

Anybody out there can help? My kid is very upset about not being able to play the game.

Many thanks!!

Reply 1 of 7, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

get sweeter kids 😉

anyway you can install windows 3.11 in dosbox, but I think given the 1998 year that it is a windows 95 game

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 2 of 7, by Malignant Manor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It's supposed to have been written for Windows 3.1. It might run with HX DOS Extender under DOSBox, but I probably couldn't explain very well how to get you started other than downloading the v2.15, 01/2009, stable HXRT and HXGUI.

http://www.superkids.com/aweb/pages/reviews/multisub/kinderg/1/drskind/merge.shtml wrote:

System Requirements

PC: Windows 3.1 or Windows 95, 66MHz 486DX or faster cpu, 20 MB hard drive space, 8 MB RAM for Windows 3.1 (16 MB recommended), 16 MB RAM for Windows 95, 640 x 480 display, 256 colors: High and True Color supported for Windows 95, Double-speed or faster CD-ROM, Windows compatible sound device

Mac: System 7.1 or higher, 68040/20 or faster cpu, 20 MB hard drive space, 8 MB free RAM, 640 x 480 display with 256 colors, 2X or faster CD-ROM

Reply 3 of 7, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Freaking Broderbund/TLC. My mom bought Reader Rabbit 2 for my brother when we were kids, and I could never get the damn thing to run more than once out of every 50 tries even though it was a DOS game on a DOS machine. They have terrible product support, always dropping all mention of older products. I guess that's to be expected though since they're basically a shovelware publisher.

Reply 4 of 7, by gerainwong

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Manor, can you explain a little bit more about the HX DOS Extender? Do I just downloaded the two files that you've mentioned then install them under DOSBOX and repeat the steps in "the 60 seconds guide......."

Many Thanks!!!

Reply 5 of 7, by Malignant Manor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

You download both zips I mentioned. They will need to be in a directory that will be mounted inside DOSBox. I suggest unzipping to both of them to the c:\dosgames\hx (create the directory if it doesn't exist).

Then you can add:

mount C C:\dosgames
path=c:\hx\bin
HXLDR32.EXE

in the [autoexec] section of DOSBox.

You'll also need to mount your cd or dvd drive.

This should hopefully allow you to install and run the game per 60 second guide.

Reply 6 of 7, by IIGS_User

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Malignant Manor wrote:
Then you can add: […]
Show full quote

Then you can add:

path=c:\hx\bin
HXLDR32.EXE

in the [autoexec] section of DOSBox.

Beware of the path entry line:

path=PATH=%PATH%;c:\hx\bin
HXLDR32.EXE

the PATH=%PATH%; parameter in the path line doesn't delete current path settings ("PATH=Z:"), but will add the path you set to the right from it.
The lost of PATH=Z: causes DOSBox its system programs no longer to be found, like the command mount.

Klimawandel.