VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by BatCountry

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Dosbox, latest CVS version, compiled under cygwin with mingw.

For some reason on my pc, all palettes in 16 or 256 colors are extremely messed up in any color depth in windowed mode. (I've tried it with 256, 16m, and 32m color mode)

Is this normal? I've seen windowed screenshots from other machines running XP, and I've looked for information on the boards (the only reference I've seen suggested trying 256 color mode, which results in the same mangled palette, only with less colors).

My specs
---------
AMD Athlon 2.08ghz
512mb PC2100 DDR
Geforce4 MX440
Detonator Drivers v.45.23
Creative SB Live! Value
Windows 2000 Professional
Any game
EGA, VGA modes in windowed

Example:
---------
xcom-wtf.jpg

Edit:
Image is stored on geocities... if it doesn't come up, try this link:
http://www.geocities.com/fiendhed/xcom-wtf.jpg

Edit again:
if it STILL doesn't come up, hit refresh. Geocities is becoming increasingly useless.

Edit yet again:
Just thought to mention, programs that operate properly in a normal cmd.exe dos box have the correct palette in a windowed mode.

Last edited by BatCountry on 2003-09-15, 05:10. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 3, by BatCountry

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Update: I just compiled the latest CVS (as of 5 minutes before this post) under mingw without cygwin, and a new compile of SDL 1.2.6 using only mingw. Same results, except the palette doesn't go nuts until after the first graphics mode switch.

After I exit the game (any game, any mode), the dosbox command prompt and all text in that window is blue.

Edit:
Also, I've tried it with straight cygwin without using the mingw compiler/linker to build SDL and Dosbox.

Another Freakin Edit:
OK. After downloading the official binaries of SDL 1.2.6 (which were 1/10th the size of the final compile of SDL under mingw or cygwin) and installing them, I now get proper colors in windowed mode. Either there's something wrong with the way SDL compiles under cygwin, or something that the combination of the two specifically dislikes about my particular computer.

Yeesh.
If you bothered reading this far, accept my apologies. heh.

Last edited by BatCountry on 2003-09-15, 09:00. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 3, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

😀

I experienced some troubles with sdl in windowed mode as well.

I'm glad the official sdl binearies are working

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 3 of 3, by murlock

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Maybe because when we build SDL in mingw, we've got a Direct X headers: not found ?

I'll try Turrican with the official SDL/mingw and with VC6 (yes, but I haven't got VC.NET yet)

PS:
Maybe this thread have to be moved in Development ?

My 2 cents,
Murlock