VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by JohnnyB

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

New to DOSBox. Want to use it for radio programming software but need to know how to configure it to recognize a usb to serial converter as a com port.

Reply 1 of 8, by Banzai

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

OKay, I know a little bit about this subject; which radio programming package are you trying to run? If it's anything from Motorola, forget it, USB serial I/O under emulation is a definite NO GO.

If it's kenwood, yeah, there's a decent chance you can get it to work.
Don't know about others . . . .

Reply 3 of 8, by willardfishbean

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I know this is an old post but hopefully someone will see it. I work with two way radios as well and yes, all of my kenwood software works fine with the adapter. Motorola does not. Not sure if it's the old style RIB I am using or the usb/serial adapter. Has anyone found a workaround for this? For example, can I install a PCI serial card to make it work? Or is there another setting/method to get the usb to work. I would love to use this on my programming netbook.

Thanks.

Reply 4 of 8, by Banzai

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes, you can use PCI serial cards to use under emulation, that does work. The key is, is that you have an actual, honest-to-god UART chip behind the RS-232 port, and you're golden. The other thing you have to watch (especially with motorola software) is to disable the fifo of the serial port you want to use. You can do this through the Windows device manager. BEWARE: There are at least two moto apps that will positively not work-- SPECTRA and MSF. MTSX is dodgy at best, I usually avoid. MAXTRAC works great, as do quite a few others. Some of them, like RADMBL require you slow the emulator down to 400-500 cycles or so.

Reply 7 of 8, by Banzai

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

If i use a real UART under emulation, i have very few problems; but it works better on a fast computer than a slower one. You have to run DOSBox fast enough so it's 'almost real time'. USB? I have no idea as to why there are so many issues; never investigated that.