VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by castiglione

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

I've recently tried playing the classic Dynamix game Red Baron using DOSBox and everything works fine except for the fact that there's a black band on the bottom of the screen - the effect is like what one sees when viewing a letter box movie on TV - nothing is cut off but there are black areas of the screen which are not used; in this case, there is one black band on the bottom.

I suspect that I have to do something to the config file to get everything to the point where the full screen is used but I don't know where to start so any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

c

Reply 2 of 13, by castiglione

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I hate to sound really dim but how do you edit the config file?

I can't even find the darn thing. It's not in the folder where dosbox is located. I'm using Vista if it's of any help.

Reply 4 of 13, by castiglione

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hmmm...Dosbox actually got installed on my computer because it came "bundled" with Red Baron so it isn't present in my start menu. Is there any other way to get to the configuration file?

Reply 5 of 13, by ripa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

0.72 and previous: config file is where dosbox.exe is. 0.73: config file is in \usersdirectory\username\local settings\application data\dosbox

where userdirectory is either "Documents and settings" for WinXP and "Users" for Vista and I think Win7. I have three config files there and I don't know which one is used (I've put a dosbox.conf file in the same directory as dosbox.exe).

Reply 7 of 13, by castiglione

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Scratch that - it appears there IS a folder called AppData in my username folder. However, I can't seem to see it. Is there a setting in properties that I need to tweak to make it visible?

Reply 9 of 13, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Same place it's been since Windows 2000:

Computer-Tools->View->Show Hidden Files and Folders.

Also you don't really need to see it, you can still access it without seeing it by just pasting Appdata into the path
ex: C:\users\USERNAME\PUT APPDATA HERE

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 10 of 13, by castiglione

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, everyone.

Thank you for all your help. I managed to finally edit the dosbox.config file using the parameters given earlier in this thread and...I still have the black bar at the bottom of the screen!

🙁

Reply 13 of 13, by castiglione

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you everyone for your help.

I figured it out.

Basically, I was running my game (Red Baron) by clicking on an icon which was on my desk-top; checking the properties of that icon, it turned out that not only was it calling up dosbox, it was calling up a specific dosbox.conf file which was specific to Red Baron; thus, all the changes I'd been making on the default dosbox.conf file were made in vain!