VOGONS

Common searches

Allow change text FONT SIZE in DOSBox.

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by amfm

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi.

DOSBox is a great job and tool. Now with 64-bits systems, we use DOSBOx to run many personal programs made with Turbo Pascal and other compilers, that now we cannot run under Windows 7 64-bits.

So, DOSBOX is not only useful to play games...

In this context, many users have detected a problem that should have an easy solution (I hope): the font size used in DOSBox is very small, and hard to read, at least for old users.

¿How can we increase the font size and a little bit the window size?.

¿Can we use "Lucida console" font in DOSBox as we do in Windows Dos Box?. This wil be a great suggestion to futures releases of DOSBox: allow us to select betwen Fixed Font (sytem Font "ugly font") or Lucida Console in different sizes.

Thank you.

Reply 2 of 7, by Kippesoep

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

amfm, the font is what it is because it emulates a real CGA/EGA/VGA card's font. Changing it to something else, especially a truetype font would not strictly be compatible to those cards, which would defeat the purpose of the emulation. Also, Lucida Console is not likely to be available on the other platforms that DOSBox runs on (it doesn't just run on Windows). This would make many people really angry, including myself 😜

Qbix's suggestion will work, of course, but may require some elaboration for you: You will need to edit the DOSBox configuration file and set "windowresolution" to the required resolution and choose an appropriate setting for "output". The default output of "surface" doesn't allow scaling, so use something else, probably "opengl". For a resolution, I'd recommend multiples of the original resolution, which for textmode is 640x400 (which probably means you only have room for 1280x800) to get the best result, especially when using an output mode that scales without filtering (such as "ddraw" or "openglnb", possibly "overlay" depending on your drivers).

My site: Ramblings on mostly tech stuff.

Reply 3 of 7, by amfm

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Kippesoep: I know that the font is this because of the emulation of CGA/VGA. but many people today uses it (of would use it) it text font were more readable, like Lucida console.

There is no reason to be angry if developers add this option. They may be an option in the configuration file, in wich you can select TRUE TYPE font or System Font. You have simply to select de desired one.

By now, I use the Windows XP-Mode and the open a DOS Window to do my work in 16 bits programs written for myself some years ago, since the font of DOSBox is unreadable... and very small.

But the advantage taht I see in DOSBox, is the short time to load. It's very quick compared to Virtual PC.

I've tried to change many config options in DOSBox config file, but no one has increased the window size.

I hope develores add the option for Lucida Console as well.

Reply 6 of 7, by Kippesoep

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
amfm wrote:

Kippesoep: I know that the font is this because of the emulation of CGA/VGA. but many people today uses it (of would use it) it text font were more readable, like Lucida console.

There is no reason to be angry if developers add this option. They may be an option in the configuration file, in wich you can select TRUE TYPE font or System Font. You have simply to select de desired one.

You're confusing the requirements of "many people" with your own. I'm just telling you why it's not going to happen. The cross-platform thing is an important one (DOSBox runs not only on Windows, but also on Linux, Mac OS X in its official releases and there are ports to many other systems such as Symbian, Windows Mobile and even Nintendo Wii -- even if all those supported TrueType [which they don't], all of them would use different methods of accessing the fonts, making it a developer's nightmare).

Another important reason is compatibility. Changing the font will break things. All DOSBox knows is that there are pixels. It doesn't use a font other than the pixels found in the VGA ROM. To use something of different dimensions would force a change in resolution of the text display, which breaks all kinds of things in the emulation itself and in the programs that run in it.

The last important reason is simply that the devs have more important things to worry about than a feature that they won't use themselves, isn't useful for games (DOSBox' primary purpose is to run games) and for which there exists an acceptable workaround as proposed by Qbix and explained by myself.

amfm wrote:

I've tried to change many config options in DOSBox config file, but no one has increased the window size.

Then you haven't done it right. Check my previous post again to see how to do it and if you can't get it to work, post your config file so we can tell you what it is you're doing wrong.

amfm wrote:

I hope develores add the option for Lucida Console as well.

And I hope for world peace, a billion euros in my bank account and movie-star good looks 😁