VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by mllyons67

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Downloading is new for me... but I did manage to download the .58 version of DOSBox. I encountered a problem from the beginning. When I attempted to run the program, the file extension of the download was not a recognized format (.lha).

I went to several sites in order to get a different extension, but all of the downloads were .lha extensions.

Can someone help me with this?

I don't know if it matters, but my PC runs on Windows XP, is formatted especially for games (or so my computer-tech guy stated) and I want (really want) to play my favorite, old-timers game called Shadow Warrior.

Thanks, MLL

Reply 1 of 12, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by mllyons67 Downloading is new for me...

uh-oh...

but I did manage to download the .58 version of DOSBox. I encountered a problem from the beginning. When I attempted to run the program, the file extension of the download was not a recognized format (.lha).

LHA is an archive format. It cannot be run. You use another program (like LHA.EXE) to extract it's files to another location for use.

To be honest, if you're not at all familiar with this, then using DosBox will probably be quite difficult for you.

I don't know if it matters, but my PC runs on Windows XP,

It does...which is why we always ask for that kind of info.

formatted especially for games (or so my computer-tech guy stated) and I want (really want) to play my favorite, old-timers game called Shadow Warrior.

Then there has been a serious communication problem as "Shadow Warrior" runs poorly on XP and not at all in DosBox.

Reply 2 of 12, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author
mllyons67 wrote:
Downloading is new for me... but I did manage to download the .58 version of DOSBox. I encountered a problem from the beginning. […]
Show full quote

Downloading is new for me... but I did manage to download the .58 version of DOSBox. I encountered a problem from the beginning. When I attempted to run the program, the file extension of the download was not a recognized format (.lha).

I went to several sites in order to get a different extension, but all of the downloads were .lha extensions.

Can someone help me with this?

I don't know if it matters, but my PC runs on Windows XP, is formatted especially for games (or so my computer-tech guy stated) and I want (really want) to play my favorite, old-timers game called Shadow Warrior.

Thanks, MLL

Try dowloading from the official homepage
http://dosbox.sf.net
There it got a .exe extionsion

Reply 4 of 12, by necrolust

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

your best alternative is probably just to set up your computer as a dualboot system. it might be too difficult for you, but maybe you can get your "computer-tech guy" (groan) to help you. makes more sense than buying a whole new computer.

Reply 6 of 12, by Kain

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'd recommend stealing a 486 off your local highschool. I've seen some 486's in my old highschool. (They hired me to fix 10 computers) And I also saw a Pentium 55mhz. Or look around in http://www.ebay.com and see if you can find shomewhere to buy an old PC. Or you could assemble one yourself.

Athlon Xp 1700+ @ 1.833ghz
ASUS A7N8X v1.4
Crucial 256mb Pc 2100 @ 166 mhz
Chaintech GeForce 4 Ti4200 128mb
Western Digital 40gb WD - 400
Windows 2000 Professional
Creative SB Live! 5.1 Dolby
Maxtop Case w/ 350w PSU

Reply 7 of 12, by mllyons67

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

More ideas! Great.

I will try the dual boot first... my techy computer guy (:) will certainly know how to do this.

Otherwise, that new computer would fit nicely in my newly revamped basement...

Reply 8 of 12, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by eL_PuSHeR C'mon, don't be so hard on computer-illiterated people...

Actually, I think he was groaning about the "computer-tech guy" since he came up with an XP machine for a guy who wants to run "classic" titles.

Reply 9 of 12, by necrolust

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

oh, i was just being an ass. i hate loose terms such as "computer-tech guy" cause it's usually some sweaty nerd who can make a killer batch file, and is thus considered an expert.
also, that whole "formatted to play games better" thing sounds like a load of crap.
no offense to you, mllyons, but you might be better off weaning yourself from this person before he "formats your mouse with 7 gigaflops of megaRAM for maximum gameplay" or something equally retarded.

seriously though, i use Windows 98 and DOS for gaming, and it works well. ask yourself, do you really need XP?

Reply 11 of 12, by Kain

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Blasphemer! Burn in the hells of DOS!!! (jk. 😁 )

Athlon Xp 1700+ @ 1.833ghz
ASUS A7N8X v1.4
Crucial 256mb Pc 2100 @ 166 mhz
Chaintech GeForce 4 Ti4200 128mb
Western Digital 40gb WD - 400
Windows 2000 Professional
Creative SB Live! 5.1 Dolby
Maxtop Case w/ 350w PSU