VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by BloodySword

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello out there!

The OPL Emulation is now amazing fast on my Intel Core 2 Duo 2x2GHz Laptop.

But with Keen 6, the fabric tower level musik sounds still kinda werid. The FM-Synthesis sounts very sharp, I don't remember this in the past.

I had to set the sampling frequenzy of the sound output and opl emulation to 96000 Hz, now it sounds a bit better.

An Example file will follow.

regards

Reply 2 of 7, by BloodySword

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

That's really amazing. IT sounds like it sounded in my old 386 with SB16. How does it come to this odd rate? Is this the rate, the Yamaha OPL chip used internally?

In 0.36 and downwarts, the sound sounded like noise only. FM was not supported, wasn't it?

Reply 6 of 7, by BloodySword

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I tested it. Upsamling is no problem, downsampling sounds not so great. You should take a look at libsamplerate for this. In the config it would be great if the user could switch between libsamplerate default resampler and the sinc resampler wich is built in libsamplerate, too.

Reply 7 of 7, by Roxor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Performing real-time sample-rate conversion sounds like a good idea, but there should probably be an option to use simple methods or disable it for those with slow machines.

Also, where would this be applied? Within the sound devices? Between them and the mixer? Both?

How does DOSBox handle a game that wants to output sound at a lower sample-rate than the sound device it's trying to use and/or the mixer, anyway?