VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by PhilHibbs

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

On Vista, if I ran Populous in full-screen mode under DosBox 0.73, it would occasionally redraw the screen with all the colours messed up. Now that I have "upgraded" to Windows 7, it does this all the time. I can only play the game with the right colours in windowed mode. I also get the same problem all the time in XP, I have dual boot. When the problem struck in Vista, I could just Alt-Enter twice and it would get the colours right, and it would not happen again for quite a while.

Any ideas why the colours might be getting messed up? I saw this occasionally with The Settlers II under Vista as well, not sure if it still happens, I will try it tonight.

Reply 1 of 4, by Kippesoep

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This is independent of whatever software you're running inside DOSBox (although the effect may simply seem less pronounced). It's a known issue caused by the Vista/7 versions of Windows Explorer. The remedy is to use an output mode other than surface in the DOSBox configuration file (reach it through the start menu).

You may want to try actually searching the forums here for your issue. There's a gazillion threads on it by other people who haven't searched.

My site: Ramblings on mostly tech stuff.

Reply 2 of 4, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It will also be fixed in the next version of DOSBox.

Also if change output doesn't work for you then you'll need to set the SDL_videodriver=windib variable. (Search this forum for WINDIB)

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline