VOGONS

Common searches

Keyboard bug in dosbox

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by videogamer555

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have a bug to report. First off, I'm using a US keyboard, so it's not a region problem. The keys that don't seem to work are:
`
\
right-shift

Later though I noticed it isn't specific to dosbox, as CCS64 (a commodore 64 emu) also has the exact same problem. I am looking at several possibilities.

I'm using Windows 7 (newest OS is more likely to have bugs)
It's the 64bit version of Windows (x64 OS isn't 100% compatible with x86 software)
I'm using a laptop (laptop keyboards may not be wired the same as desktop keyboards, so the scancodes may be different, as companies like to be "proprietary").

I'm not sure what the problem is exactly, so can someone help me? Is there software I can install that will FORCE the keyboard to use industry standard scancodes?

Reply 4 of 9, by videogamer555

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I read it, and my keyboard is a US keyboard, not a Japanese keyboard. If the problem was buggy Japanese keyboard drivers, I'd have to have a Japanese keyboard in the first place. My keyboard is fully US, and so I shouldn't have a Japanese driver in the first place. No Japanese driver means no buggy driver.

Edit: I just checked and I DO have a Japanese driver. Actually I have FOUR drivers listed in my Device Manage (what gives? I only need one driver for one keyboard. And one of these extra useless drivers is for an IR connected keyboard I don't even have, as it is a LAPTOP with a BUILT IN keyboard!).
Here they are in the order shown in Device Manager:
Japanese Driver (Microsoft eHome MCIR 109)
US Driver (Microsoft eHome MCIR)
remote IR keyboard Driver (Microsoft eHome MCIR Remote Control Keyboard Keys)
PS/2 Keyboard Driver (Standard 101/102-key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard with HP QLB)

So what's the fix for this problem? The page you linked to seemed to have a debate as to even what the problem was, and any suggested fix was an educated guess, at best. I need to know the exact problem, and a methodical way to fix it that is a known fix (such as a 3rd party patch for the keyboard driver, just in case the 1st party driver maker company is too lazy to fix their own drivers).

Reply 5 of 9, by videogamer555

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Update:
I uninstalled the driver in Task Manager called MCIR 109 Keyboard. That worked GREAT as a fix to said keyboard problem. But it REINSTALLED upon computer reboot. PLEASE HELP!

Is there a registry edit I can do to make it NOT auto-re-install the keyboard's sucky driver?

Reply 6 of 9, by videogamer555

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

DON'T ABANDON ME! PROBLEM IS NOT FIXED AS THE DRIVER KEEPS REINSTALLING ITSELF! PLEASE ADMIN, DON'T JUST LEAVE THIS THREAD WITHOUT FIRST COMPLETELY SOLVING THE PROBLEM! IT TRIED UNINSTALLING THE DRIVER ONLY TO HAVE WINDOWS REINSTALL IT AFTER BOOTUP! PROBLEM IS NOT FIXED! I NEED HELP!!!!!

Reply 7 of 9, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Please, "sacreaming" (posting in all caps) doesn't make people more friendly towards you. Please read the thread again, rolloLG has the correct answer and it wasn't uninstalling your driver but replacing it.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 8 of 9, by videogamer555

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I already tried replacing the MCIR 109 Keyboard driver with the generic HID Keyboard Driver. It does NOT work (my OS is a bit different and therefore the solution is different, as my exact OS is: 64 bit version of Windows 7 Home Premium, and I did NOT have a kbd106.dll file at all). Same problem, but different cause, means different solution. I ended up following the instructions here instead
http://www.shakahr.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1232
and solved it. I'd recommend that solution as the FIRST thing to try to anyone having this problem, as the answers to this specific problem (not sure about others) here at the DOSbox forums sound more like trial and error guesses (which seemed to confuse not only me, but many others, and that whole thread seemed like a mass of confusion) not a cold hard fix to the problem. I found a cold hard fix, and it was the one I found on that other site. Again the web address is:
http://www.shakahr.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1232

So much for the DOSbox forum's ability to solve technical problems.

Reply 9 of 9, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Yeah, sorry, the DOSBox company is too cheap to to hire real technical support.

Seriously, it's an open source project and we can only help as far as our knowledge goes. When no one has such a trouble keyboard, then there is not much we can do, other than give suggestions. Great you "solved" the issue.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper