VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by thefix

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm currently trying to capture footage from System Shock 1 and it seems like DOSBox has certain limitations when it comes to midi emulation, i. e. midi music isn't included in the captured footage. Looks like the only way to do it is triggering midi capturing seperately, converting the dumped mid file to digital audio and adding it to the movie in post.

The biggest problem with this is that I can't really press CTRL+ALT+F5 and CTRL+ALT+F9 at the same time so the video and midi data I've captured will never be truly in sync and in addition to the midi conversion, correcting this manually is a bit of a pain.

Is there a way to trigger video and midi capturing at the same time, e. g. using a script? My preferred setup is D-Fend reloaded with the current version of DOSBox, is it possible to pull something like this off with it? It looks like this question hasn't really been asked before but if it has, feel free to flame me into oblivion. Any advice would be much appreciated and thanks a lot in advance!

Reply 2 of 5, by thefix

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Wow, it's that easy? I sorta expected doing this to cause problems of some sort but it's cool to hear that it doesn't, thanks a lot!

By the way, in order to convert the .mid to digital audio, the foobar plugin I'm using requires a sound font. Can someone recommend a sound font to me that sounds closest to DOSBox's own midi emulation? DOSBox itself doesn't really seem to be using a sound font as far as I can tell and for some reason, the sf2 file that comes with my ancient Sound Blaster Live! card doesn't really sound like the actual midi sound I get in DOSBox.

Reply 3 of 5, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Can someone recommend a sound font to me that sounds closest to DOSBox's own midi emulation?

Dosbox doesn't do any Midi emulation, MIDI is passed through to the host MIDI device.
Best thing to do is to use a audio capture program on the host (and maybe assign it the same hotkey for starting the capture as for starting the video capture in Dosbox).

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 4 of 5, by Roxor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Alternatively, change the music device used by the game from General MIDI to something emulated by DOSBox, such as Adlib/Soundblaster or Gravis Ultrasound. Use either of those and the music will get captured along with the rest of the audio.