VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by artmaker

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Under MSDos 5, there was a program, DOSShell.exe that could also be set up with Task Switching among different programs using the "Cool Keys" (Alt-Tab). As I remember, it also allowed for a clipboard function to copy/paste between applications.

I have to dig out my old DOS Computer to refresh my memory, but I think that it was part of the CONFIG.sys as a "Device=..."

I'm operating on my 'ole' memory, but I believe the Device was also allowed to be Loaded High (LH Device=...).

Has anyone tried to use these programs in DOSBox? If so, how do you set up a Config.sys in DOSBox?

Reply 1 of 6, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You can either boot MS-DOS in DOSBox or you can find a TSR that would load the driver. IIRC, one came with QEMU but are others available if you search google....not sure how well they work with DOSBox so booting MS-DOS in DOSBox would be your best bet.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 6, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
artmaker wrote:

Under MSDos 5, there was a program, DOSShell.exe that could also be set up with Task Switching among different programs using the "Cool Keys" (Alt-Tab). As I remember, it also allowed for a clipboard function to copy/paste between applications.

I do remember task-switching in DOSShell - it never worked very well, as MS-DOS isn't much of a multitasking environment. I don't remember this copy-pasting you're referring to, though. I suspect that was a separate program.

Anyway, Google for olddos.exe - that's a free Microsoft package that includes DOSShell.exe. There are also various programs that will let you load device drivers without a config.sys; see Device Driver loaders... any working? .

Reply 3 of 6, by gidierre

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jorpho wrote:
artmaker wrote:

I do remember task-switching in DOSShell - it never worked very well, as MS-DOS isn't much of a multitasking environment. I don't remember this copy-pasting you're referring to, though. I suspect that was a separate program.

now you've made me curious and I checked out my dos 6.22 + dosshell (VirtualPC)

well, no surprise that alt+tab effectively switches tasks

it does nothing about cut/copy/paste there, though

only way is through Edit menu and/or relevant hotkeys, which were no Ctrl + X and so, but Shift+Del, Ctrl+Ins and Shift+Ins
instead.

We often forgive those who bore us, but we cannot forgive those whom we bore. (La Rochefoucauld)

Reply 4 of 6, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
gidierre wrote:

it does nothing about cut/copy/paste there, though

only way is through Edit menu and/or relevant hotkeys, which were no Ctrl + X and so, but Shift+Del, Ctrl+Ins and Shift+Ins instead.

As I recall, in DOSShell those commands are used for file operations, not for data exchange between programs.

Reply 5 of 6, by gidierre

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

yeah, that's right.
In fact I wasn't thinking of anything like Dynamic Data Exchange (I guess this is what you meant, right?) because afaict that's all windows stuff isn't it

We often forgive those who bore us, but we cannot forgive those whom we bore. (La Rochefoucauld)

Reply 6 of 6, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes indeed. I'm pretty sure you could cut and paste between DOS programs with DESQview, and there's probably some other hopelessly obscure utility that can do the same.