VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Paar

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi. I recently tried Little Big Adventure in Dosbox, but there is this problem - I cannot change volume of music (neither midi nor cd). My OS is Windows 7, I assume it has something to do with it.
Same problem with Shadow Warrior - music from CD is working, but I cannot change volume. Ingame sliders and even MIXER command just won't do a thing. Any help? I would appreciate it, thanks.

And I use D-fend Reloaded too, version 0.9.1.

Reply 1 of 6, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

DOSBox does not control MIDI volume, but some games may have a built-in volume control that changes the volume by changing the MIDI data. It depends on the device providing MIDI, but you should be able to find a volume control in Windows.

DOSBox can control the volume of CD audio with disc images mounted via IMGMOUNT, and possibly other types of mount methods that extract CD audio as data (not sure about that), but for many of the other mount types you again will need to use a volume control in Windows.

Reply 3 of 6, by Paar

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That's not very fortunate, because I'm not able to adjust CD volume in Win 7 on its own... But I'm using .cue image in Dosbox, mixer should be working, I don't get it.
And Midi - could the problem be Little Big Adventure using Roland MT-32 or Wave Blaster on SB16, not common General Midi? I can adjust Midi volume for example in Duke3D or Doom.

Reply 4 of 6, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

are you sure you are first mounting the cue and then trying the mixer control ?

(mixer control from the commandline in dosbox, not the one in the game)

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 6 of 6, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Maybe with hardware midi synth, not with software synth in Vista/7. AFAIK

You could try setting DOSBox volume in Windows mixer to a value you like and then adjusting the mixer for SFX in DOSBox I guess.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline