VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by nemir

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

g'day,

just downloaded dosbox, and my initial testing seems like it will be perfect for what I want to use it for....

What I would like to do is to configure the windows desktop shortcut to automatically launch the game (wizardry 5) in fullscreen mode.

I try to change the shortcut target to say:

"C:\PathTo\DOSBox\dosbox.exe -fullscreen d:\pathto\wiz5.com"

Anytime I try to edit the shortcut properties, it gives me an error:

The name "C:\PathTo\DOSBox\dosbox.exe -fullscreen d:\pathto\wiz5.com" specified is not valid.

This i what happens anytime I put anything after dosbox.exe.

Is it possible to do what I want ?

TIA

nemir

Reply 1 of 4, by nemir

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

a second after I posted this, I decided I couldn't see the forest for the trees, bapped my head agaisnt the door and proceeded to make a batch file.

Sadly, while I think it got me further, it didn;t get me far enough.

batch file simply says C:\PathTo\DOSBox\dosbox.exe -fullscreen d:\pathto\wiz5.com

I launch it, and it blinks up a dos window that closes so fast I can't see what it is doing.

so I type that into a cmd window (I am running WinXP on a p4-2400 just in case any of that matters) and it launches a dosbox, gives me a z: prompt. Sadly, it doesn't launch my game

I can launch the game by dragging and dropping the com file onto the dosbox exe, but it doesn't give me fuillscreen that way, and it doesn't give me a simple icon I can put on my desktop to doubleclick....

Thanks!

Nemir

Reply 4 of 4, by Profound_Darkness

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Here is what I did.
First I went into dosbox straitup and had it writeconf.

I then copied the generated config file to a txt file named after the game for which I want to play.

Then I create a shortcut to dosbox with the following line:
"path\dosbox.exe" -conf AlienLegacy.txt

NOTE that my dosbox is not installed in a "long" directory so I can get away without quotes. AlienLegacy is the name of the config file, the extention of txt is just to make editing easier for me. Also that is the name of the game I am playing most.

Inside the config file you can setup the dosbox to work how you want such as cpu cycles, ram, frame skiping, screen filtering, and most notably where to send mt32 midi data. I say most notably 'cause I have y-sxg50 for midi so old midi sounds NICE.

At the botom of that config file is where you have an "autoexec.bat" section where you can create a batch just for your game, below is a copy of my "autoexec.bat" for alien legacy:
mount c e:\virtc
mount d y:\ -t
c:
cd\sierra\alien
al
exit

the first 2 lines mount the nesisary folders, the next 3 lines change drive letter and directory and then run the game, the last line (exit) closes the dosbox after I closed the game making it have a self contained feal. Now if only dosbox would pause emulation when it looses focus (optional).