VOGONS

Common searches

Bloodnet.

Topic actions

First post, by Magic

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Praise be to DosBox. Being able to play some of the old Dos games I downloaded is an utter pleasure. I'm sure I'll be some old guy when I'm older playing away on 'the good old days' whilst my grandkids enjoy their 10gig processor instant working PC's. 😁
Thank you very much to the programmers of it.

Anyhow - Bloodnet. I had a problem with it and posted it at HOTU and was directed here. What I said there:

So I started Bloodnet, but whenever the game itself (After the intro) starts it exits and I get a "gettext error". Any ideas?

I downloaded this from a French Abandonwarez site called Lost Treasures, not HOTU. If anyone has a definitely working copy, I could easily make instant messenger or FTP arrangements to download it, and you'd be doing me a favour.

Edit: I just downloaded it again (Link), but it's the same - says it can't find "databn_pal.tbl".

Any ideas or assistance would be appreciated.

-Magic
www.samods.com - Mods by modders.

Reply 1 of 15, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

hmm the filename databn_pal.tbl
doesn't adhere to the 8.3 specs used by dos.

Are you sure this isn't somehow a windows game ?
Dos didn't support long file names.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 2 of 15, by Magic

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Negative, I think. I remember my brother playing it many years ago, and we used to use DOS all the time. Trying it in Windows now does not appear to work - on both those versions I downloaded, it opens and shuts. I think I can see it mentioning extended memory, which most DOS games do for me when I use XP.

I've found it again at a Russian website (Did an image search)... 0.9K a sec of 5.9 MB...

-Magic

Reply 6 of 15, by Magic

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This is even weirder. I've acquired it again (4th time - from another friend 🙄 ) and it's the same problem. The thing is - I'm back home now, on my dad's PC. I thought it may have just been my computer messing about.

In the \Data directory is actually a file called 'BN_PAL.TBL' (the file the game says it can't access is the same with 'DATA' before 'BN'). So I copied and renamed it accordingly, but still no luck.
My frustration grows. I'll see if I can try another DOS emulator for now...

Any ideas? 🙁

-Magic

Reply 7 of 15, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

This is what I've found

1) Under DOSBox 0.58 i got the same error message "gettext ..."

2) Under latest CVS it works.

3) Under VDMSound it works like a charm, so this must be the preferred way of running it.

Reply 10 of 15, by Magic

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I was experimenting with VDMSound but wasn't sure how to use it. The readme says to right click an exe and tick 'run with VDMSound', but I couldn't see it after installing, or when I ran the VDM exe.
(And left it running whilst trying the bloodnet exe)

So I was looking in the exe properties for Bloodnet and saw the extended memory options (For giving it some). So I decided to put some on... lo and behold, the game works! 😁

Sound doesn't work but that's because I'm not sure about the soundcard settings on my dad's computer (Had to set it to no sound to get the normal game working), but I'll have a test about with the settings now. And when I get home Sunday I'll surely get it working. 😀

Can someone finish off this whole ordeal and tell me how to use VDMSound exactly? (See first paragraph)

-Magic

Reply 12 of 15, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Magic Can someone finish off this whole ordeal and tell me how to use VDMSound exactly? (See first paragraph)

That does it... a basic guide is now here.

If that doesn't do it...we might have to go to electroshock.

Reply 14 of 15, by Paxelius

User metadata

Hi there!

I used to be able to play Bloodnet without any hassle on my old Pentium 3, 733 MHz, 128 MB SD Ram, WindowsME computer.

With my new computer: AMD Barthon 1.8 GHz, 1 Gig DDR Ram, Windows XP I get the exact same error as 'Magic' used to get before he tried to run it on his dad's computer. I have tried every tweak I can think of without success. It also crashes on my dad's computer which runs Windows 98 (don't know the specs right now) but then with an entirely different error-message - Illegal Instruction something!

My guess is that this game refuse to work under DDR Ram, anyone else seen this connection ?

With DOSBox v0.61 it works ok, the sound is garbled and the animations are abit sludgy but the game is playable.

I would like to know if anybody has managed to configure it to work 100% ?

-Aeron Pax