VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by StewartM

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, I’m running DOSBox 0.73 on a MacBook (2.2 GHz Intel Core Duo) running Mac OS X 10.5.8, and loading Windows 3.11.

I’m looking for ways to reduce the DOSBox CPU usage when ‘idle’, both at the DOS prompt and when running Windows 3.11.

At the initial DOS prompt the CPU usage is around 35%. Running DOSIdle reduces this to around 24%. I read somewhere of people using DOSIdle getting the CPU usage down to zero when idle but I have not managed that myself. (BTW, I am also running WQGHLT under Windows 3.11.)

Setting the second Priority value in the preferences files to “pause” gives a CPU of around 6% when not focused; that helps to keep the fan from kicking in, but it’s not ideal having DOSBox pausing completely.

I have tried various settings of priority, cputype, cycles, etc, but nothing seems to get the CPU usage right down.

Is that all just as expected or are there some particular settings to use?

Stewart.

Reply 2 of 5, by StewartM

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

OK, at least i can stop trying to find a fix, then. 😉

It might be OK just having DOSBox pause when not focused. The only trouble is that the time freezes too.

Would it be possible to use a TSR that keeps the system clock synchronised to the CMOS clock?

(Sorry, I don't have enough knowledge of the inner workings of DOSBox to know whether the equivalent of the CMOS clock exists... or whether it keeps running when DOSBox is paused... or whether it updates itself from the host systems clock... or...) 😕

Stewart.

Reply 3 of 5, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I remember having that issue a long time ago with Linux:
Post 83384

So it's likely nothing internal to DOSBox but likely the video rendering.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 4 of 5, by StewartM

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Oh well, I tried a TSR ("uptim410") to keep the DOS time in sync with the CMOS time.

It seemed to be doing its job but it was quite weird when I ran the "Clock" program in Win3.11 -- after having DOSBox on pause and then un-pausing, the clock was jumping between the correct time and the pre-pause time (jumping there and back every second).

Hmm. 😕

Stewart.

Reply 5 of 5, by maranas

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hi, i'm new here. dosbox is awesome btw.

i have had this similar problem in my experience with developing mac apps. it had something to do with a main loop that was not executing anything (polling for something). theoretically it would not be using that much cpu cycles, but in the mac, it has a high cpu % when idle. we solved it by stopping the loop, and retriggering it when the event to be polled is available again.

it may be a different problem, but just my 2 cents.