VOGONS

Common searches

Easy way to launch a Dos program with DOSBox

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by maranas

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hi guys, i am new here. i have been using dosbox since 0.63, and i have always loved playing dos games. and when you use dosbox a lot, you tend to get tired of typing the same commands every single time. also, creating a shortcut for each game becomes tedious after a while.

so i created a program that makes the process easy. i call it DOSRunner. just right-click any dos executable (exe, bat, com), select "Run in DOSBox", and you can play right away, without the need to CD into directories, or type "mount" commands, or create custom shortcuts.

you can get it from my website here: http://omokute.blogspot.com/2010/04/dosrunner.html

thanks a lot for the great emulator! for any bugs/comments/suggestions, please feel free to message or reply to me!

Reply 3 of 7, by boyofdestiny

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This has been done already, and in a much simpler way. Doesn't require dot net (use the context menu and simple batch), thus works on any Windows OS that DOSBox can run in.

DOSBox Shell Integration

You are 199k RAM short of having enough memory.
You need to buy more memory or remove any memory resident programs, Dude.
-- California Games v 1.01 2/23/88

Reply 5 of 7, by maranas

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i see. i did this mainly because i was studying how to implement shell extensions in Windows, and also how to create a setup file with NSIS (the advantage of this is the clean uninstalls). i just thought creating a tool for DOSBox in the process of studying would be fun.

one advantage of this is anyone without knowledge of DOS commands can jump right into the game, without knowing anything about creating batch files or custom PIFs or dosbox.conf. they can just download a game, unzip it, right click on the executable and run it with DOSBox.

BTW, the .NET dependencies are only for the Configurator. The shell extension itself was written with pure Win32 API code, because managed code is not advised for shell extension coding.

anyways, thanks for the comments! i thought i would just share it. too bad somebody beat me to it. if anyone needs the source code for this, just give me a message and i'll send it to you.

Reply 7 of 7, by mauxie

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

all of these seem a lot of trouble to me.
all I do is go to the sendto folder in my user profile.
c:\users\(logonname)\appdata\roaming\microsoft\windows\sendto\
once there, I right click on an open spot and click new>shortcut.
follow the prompts to put a shortcut to your dosbox.exe in that folder.
after that, you only have to find your dos exe and right click>sendto>dosbox.
system does the rest.