VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by masj78

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

HI FORUM MEMBERS,

I have just downloaded DosBox and finding it a real pain. I must admit it might not be too long before I abandon trying to play my old games as it seems too much hard work from reading through forum posts for resolutions. To save me from biting the bullet and getting a a fairly good spec pc with just Dos on it, What does "out of memory! try unloading some of your TSR's" mean? Happens when trying to load Sim City. I remember the same thing used to happen years ago when running games on an old pc of mine, but cannot remember what it means.

Cheers

Mike

p.s. Most of the games I would like to play that I own are the ones with unsupported next to them in DosBox's games list, which is a shame.

Reply 1 of 12, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

for your problem: use loadfix.
it eats up some memory. The game is confused by the amount of free memory.

secondly Why is it a shame that not all your favorite games work ? I mean a shame! See how many do work instead of thinking only of yourself!

Reply 2 of 12, by masj78

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

What is load fix? Was incorrect about the game I mentioned causing the problem, sorry. It is Commander Keen with the TSR comlaint. So far I have loaded master of orion and sim city fine, so I am quite impressed. I am sure I will have more success with others.

Sorry about the gripe on my favourite games., but I have been looking for a trouble free way to play Syndicate and Crusader No Remorse for a while. Came so close to completing them years back, but my computer at the time couldn't handle them and crashed.

Reply 3 of 12, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

loadfix is program located on the Z:\ of dosbox.

it eats up memory so. this may seem weird but games weren't designed to see that much memory free 😀

Well for syndicate the solution is nearby. the next release of dosbox is capable of playing it.

Crusader no remorse is another story. That is real hard. Will not be playable with the next version and I have no idea when it is. Maybe VDMSound can help you there.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 4 of 12, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Qbix Crusader no remorse is another story. That is real hard. Maybe VDMSound can help you there.

No, it can't.

showthread.php?threadid=889&highlight=Crusader+remorse

showthread.php?threadid=904&highlight=Crusader+remorse

showthread.php?threadid=2369&highlight=Crusader+remorse

The short version is that Crusader "Hates NT", despises NT, and makes fun of NT's little sister.

There are other possibilities, but without system specifications, I wouldn't know where to begin.

Reply 5 of 12, by icemann

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

masj78: Syndicate runs fine under the current cvs (as of the 6th of October) you just need to run main.exe from your syndplus/syndicat directory. Through this method you can't play americain revolt however, but atleast you can play it.

Qbix: So running syndicate the normal way will work fine with the next cvs? Last time I tried, it just quit me out of the game without a single error msg. Which is exactly what happened when I try to get it to work through windows or pure dos mode.

Reply 6 of 12, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by icemann Qbix: So running syndicate the normal way will work fine with the next cvs? Last time I tried, it just quit me out of the game without a single error msg.

Another reason, we have to bring this CVS thing into control. People are offering advice based on their version of the CVS which quite possibly won't work at all on the next CVS release.

Of course, this is happening because people are ignoring the text about there being no support (and so are we by responding). It really needs to more like a Beta program where you only get the CVS release if you post needed feedback (as opposed to "It's too slow, how do I make it go faster?").

Reply 7 of 12, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Yes,

*hits himself badly on the head.*

*another time to get it in the longterm memory*

Reply 8 of 12, by Daveybaby

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Maybe you should create a separate forum... i.e. split this forum to a 'current stable release' forum and a 'cvs release' forum. This would do several Good Things:

* Make admins job easier - you can move any stray CVS related threads straight into tha appropriate forum.

* Make the developers job easier - they can ignore CVS forum cos they arent supporting CVS releases (the development forum is still around for proper debugging feedback etc)

* Help the community to help itself w.r.t. CVS releases. Or something.

I dunno. Just a thought. Mind you... 99% of posts in this forum seem to relate to CVS builds anyway. Its been so long since a formal release i think almost everyone runs CVS now. 😉

Crumbs!

Reply 9 of 12, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

IMHO it was not so good idea to make CVS releases available as binaries.
It was better before. Everybody could get sources from sourceforge, but it worked as filter.
In order to make binary one has to have certain knowledge (and intelligence 😀 ).
Having binary builds normally available means that everybody can come and complain how slowly it runs...
Newbies should get only release versions.

On the other hand, many other projects do it as well (Exull, ScummVM, ...).

Mirek

Reply 11 of 12, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

1. There is already a semi-official DOSbox CVS forum on pixels.org, where the CVS binaries are hosted.

2. I think it's good th at CVS binaries are released, mostly because the DOSbox team releases official, stable binaries so rarely. It would kill of interest quite a bit if new binaries of some kind were not released at least once every couple of weeks. I can't even remember when the last official release was.

Also, IMO having everyone build their own binaries from the source would just result in even more complaints due to the fact that everyone is using a different compiler and environment. The way it is now, only people who are really interested in tinkering with the source code go to the trouble of messing with it, and everyone else is happy just playing with the binaries.

Reply 12 of 12, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

But every day other people asking questions about something that isn't supported isn't my favorite thing.

The CVS changes so many times that I prefer not to clutter this forum with it.

I prefer the people asking question when we release instead of providing support for people who don't read the readme and still use the cvs and come complaining that game X is broken. Or when game Y will run in the cvs as the tried it for 2 weeks now.