VOGONS

Common searches

Editing files in Dosbox directory?

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 20 of 21, by wilf4

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

All most helpful, and interesting.
Don't feel so bad now about my ingorance.
(I don't use DosBox for any games. Only for personal applications written over many years in QuickBasic and dBASE 5 For Dos.
Far more files than I care to even consider re-writing in a more "modern" language!)

But, thaks to all.
All now working as I require.

Wilf

Who remembers why I,J,K,L,M and N are counters!

Reply 21 of 21, by SFwriter

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
SKARDAVNELNATE wrote:
It's not really a file. It's a command. […]
Show full quote
wilf4 wrote:

So, my only excuse is that the usual (for me) way to find files failed.

It's not really a file. It's a command.

Edit Configuration
"C:\Program Files\DOSBox-0.73\dosbox.exe" -editconf notepad.exe -editconf "%SystemRoot%\system32\notepad.exe" -editconf "%WINDIR%\notepad.exe"

Thanks, SKARDAVNELNATE—you're a decent, thoughtful human being. Your reply was the first one that gave me the necessary clues I needed to figure out the problem. Like the others, clicking through to "All Programmes" led to the DOSbox-0.74-2 directory, but it contained no configuartion files and no method to effect any changes. After I saw your (above) command, I was finally able to figure out that mine needed to be:

"P:\DOSBox-0.74-2\dosbox.exe" -editconf notepad++.exe -editconf "P:\Notepad++\notepad++.exe" -editconf "%WINDIR%\notepad.exe"

...which is sufficiently different to assure that I would never have found it on my own, so thanks for not being insistent that one click-sequence—and one click-sequence only—would ever work. Those other fellows just couldn't grasp that everyone doesn't use default settings, and that figuring out the problem is more important than insisting we all be exactly the same... Command strings are much more useful than click-sequences!

Consequently, I found how to edit the AUTOEXEC function (since EDIT isn't a DOS command in this version of DOSBox) and was finally able to automate the mounting of my "C" drive. Thanks.

I find it rather reassuring that flags dont "wave" in a vacuum... Pthththtpt! C'mon and lets all be humans together instead of this idiotic Nationalism that only serves to separate us from each other.