VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by dodamn

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I want to explore the internal of a certain DOS4GW bound executable file. So I want to place breakpoints on 32-bit code of DOS4GW bound EXE. But I can't find how to do it on DOSBox debugger.

As you know, DOS4GW bound EXE file consists of two parts: a 16-bit DOS stub that executes dos4gw.exe, and 32-bit LE(Linear Executable) that is loaded by the dos4gw.exe loader. Of course the LE part contains the application code!

It is possible and easy to place breakpoints on 16-bit DOS stub. But I don't know how to place breakpoints on 32-bit stub.

To try to solve this problem, I tried to use DOS32A instead of DOS4GW. As you know, DOS32A is complete alternative of DOS4GW. I expected that DOS32A helps me to how to do it. Because DOS32A is open source, so I can see DOS32A internal.

I used DOS32A ver.7.35. I made the EXE file, which I want to explore, to use DOS32A instead of DOS4GW. After then, I executed the EXE file on DOSBox debug mode using command 'debug <the EXE file>'.
On 'Code Overview' of DOSBox debug window, DOS32A code is shown. It is exactly same as dos32.asm file which is included in DOS32A source code. I was happy! So I clicked 'F10' key to run step-by-step. But at line no.222 of dos32.asm file(you can see assembly code 'call far ptr pm32_init' on dos32.asm file at line 222.), I clicked 'F10' key. After then, the status of DOSBox debugger is changed from 'debug mode' to 'Running mode'. And the 32-bit stub code was executed. So I never clicked 'F10' key again.

The following is some code of dos32.asm of DOS32A ver.7.35.

<code>
mov es,_membase
mov bx,_version
mov dx,offs critical_handler
call far ptr pm32_init ; enter Protected Mode
jc report_error

cli
mov _sel_cs,cs ; save PM selectors
</code>

Whan debugger's cursor is on 'call far ptr pm32_init', I clicked 'F10' key. After then, I expetecd that the cursor was on 'jc report_error'. But the cursor remained on 'call far ptr pm32_init'. And the status of debugger changed to 'Running' automatically. In other words, the 32-bit code was executed.

Is there any way to place breakpoints on the 32-bit code?
Please help me.

Sorry for my ugly english.

Reply 4 of 12, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

core=auto switches to dynamic core when running in protected mode, and the dynamic core is what causes breakpoints to be missed, because the recompiled code executes in uninterruptable blocks. You can also change the source code to use blocks of a single instruction.

You may have another problem, but it's a fact that dynamic core causes breakpoints and single-stepping to not work properly.

Reply 6 of 12, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

If you need to debug while in dynamic core for some reason, find this line in core_dyn_x86.cpp:

block=CreateCacheBlock(chandler,ip_point,32);

and change the 32 to a 1.

However, you may not need to go through this exercise. I have traced through extender stuff before, and just because a call is executed does NOT mean it returns. Sometimes a call is just a way they push a return address on the stack to figure out who did the calling.

Edit: oops, you said Ubuntu 64-bit, so you'll probably have to change the line in core_dynrec.cpp

Reply 8 of 12, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Correct, not needed if using core=normal. You can also try setting an explicit breakpoint on the line after the call by moving the highlight there and pressing F9, but I suspect you've simply got a case of a call that doesn't return, at least not to the instruction after the call.

Reply 9 of 12, by dodamn

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I think you're right. The function call does not return. So I'm sad.
Is there no way to poke into the 32-bit code of DOS4GW(or DOS32A) bound executable??

But I believe that there are other way to poke into the 32-bit code.
OK, think about it....
Assume that I have a .exe file which is bounded with dos4gw. And I want to poke that file. I mean that I want to poke the 32-bit code(program main routine), not 16-bit code(dos4gw related stub).
How can I poke it? As you know, it is simple. Just follow the steps.
step 1. Run DOSBox.
step 2. Run command 'debug <a .exe file>'.
step 3. Place a breakpoint on the entry point of the 32-bit code of the .exe file.
step 4. Click 'F5' key.

I expect that DOSBox debugger stops the program running. And the cursor of DOSBox debugger is placed on the entry point of the 32-bit code.

But there is a probelm. I do NOT know the address of the 32-bit code of the .exe file. So I can't place a breakpoint on it.

How can I know it?

Reply 11 of 12, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Switching to protected mode does some things like changing the CR0 register and and finally executing an IRET, so maybe trace into the call and keep single stepping until you land on the instruction right after the IRET. You'll know that the switch to PM has taken place because the debugger indicates Real/PM16/PM32 mode. Tedious, but it should work.