VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by abishur

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm running the latest version of dosbox attempting to run a game called Star Control 2. It loads fine and everything, but as soon as the graphics start in it wigs out and the colors completely screw up. I'm running a NVIDIA GeForce Fx 5200, Windos XP, AMD Atholon 2600+, with 512 DDR ram. I've tried setting the screen resolution really low, but it doesn't work. Any ideas?

Reply 1 of 6, by agentwd40

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I get the same problem with Master of Orion and master of magic.
The games are in 256 color mode (full screen mode) and the color pallete stuffs up. In windowed mode the colors are fine.
I tried setting dosbox to 256 color mode (from windows xp dos shortcut properties) but then dosbox wouldn't run.

Most of the times I can get it to work properly by:
pressing alt enter wait a sec then press alt enter again.. repeat everytime the pallete stuffs up usually it comes good. (perhaps when it has to display a new color you have to do this??)

otherwise press alt-enter and play in windowed mode for a while and then alt-enter back again into full screen mode.

it is annoying though..

Reply 3 of 6, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Dosbox does little to the graphics. I't just creates a virtual screen which SDL draws for it. So if fullscreen windowed mode fixes it. there might be something with your video drivers or directx or sdl.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 5 of 6, by agentwd40

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I tried setting PCI vga pallete snoop in the bios and removing all the extra startup programs from msconfig. and I still get the same thing.
It does seem better, first two sessions no problem second 2 got the color glitches but not that often..

another way around which I found acceptable is to set windows to 800 x 600 and play in windowed mode.. most of the screen is filled. Just pretend its a 14" monitor 😀

Reply 6 of 6, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by abishur I'm running the latest version of dosbox attempting to run a game called Star Control 2. It loads fine and everything, but as soon as the graphics start in it wigs out and the colors completely screw up.

You should find this in your game's documentation:

Graphic Adapter Fix
Certain computers, (i.e. Tandy 4850 EP) have unusual video hardware. Therefore, colors in the game might not look quite right. If you experience this problem, try running the game as STARCON2 /g:BIOS. This will force the program to update the color palette using the BIOS functions. Since most BIOS calls are far slower than custom routines, a minor performance penalty may be noticed when using this option

Originally posted by abishur I tired setting the resolution to 256 like you mentioned, but it won't even boot up dosbox, it says something along the lines of SDL parchuet deployed.

You must run DosBox from a desktop using 16-Bit or 32-Bit mode.

The best solution, is play the port/remake:
http://sc2.sourceforge.net/