VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Abrogate

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This is a more a question about the game itself, not how the game works with DOSBox. Back in the days when I had a computer that could play DOS games without an emulator, I had one big annoyance with AITD. Running is a huge chore in that game. It should be as simple as pressing the walk button twice and holding it, but the chances of you actually running when you do that are quite low.

I played the game on Abandon Loader and encountered the same "problem." When I play it on DOSBox, the running actually works anytime I try it. I dont know much about the way computers run, but something tells me it has to do with the fact that you can change CPU Cycles on DOSBox. To me it seems odd that playing with your CPU Speed would affect how your keyboard works, but maybe it has something to do with how fast the game registers the command...

Anyway, does anyone else here play Alone in the Dark and have this same annoyance? And if so, do you know any kind of "trick" to make running more successful on Abandon Loader?

Reply 1 of 6, by Jiri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes, you are right. Best results are in DOSBox (I tried it with AITD 1 and 2). But my AITD 3 CD has Windows install only and it is nearly impossible to get Carnby running. It most probably depends on computer speed, with slowdown utilities are chances slightly higher but it is still a big annoyance. I do not know other trick to improve it.

Reply 3 of 6, by Freddo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RyanFialcowitz wrote:

This is a speed issue. Trying the game on a slower machine will show this, or an emulator or slowdown program.

-Ryan P. Fialcowitz

Indeed. To run one have to double-click the walk button within the time of X. X is a smaller and shorter period of time the faster the CPU is. So on an average computer of today one have to do it within a 1/20 of a second or even less. Not really possible.

Reply 4 of 6, by Lab

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

My posting will not have quite something to do with running but, since youre saying you played AITD 1 and 2, I was wondering if you ever had this problem:

first, my specs: AMD 3000, 2 megs of ram, on WIN XP service pack 2, playing AITD CD version...with DOSBox 0.63

on my computer, the game works perfectly on all level; smooth, music, sound effects BUT talking about sound effects, as soon as I put it on, I hear it but, the character walks or runs in a "lagging" manner...(without sound effects: perfectly smooth)

I noticed that it does that because it seems that when loading the sounds (say, like when the character walks, you hear a sound of his shoes hiiting the floor, right) well, the character lagg for half a second while loading that sound...

man, I've tried almost everything from different CPU cycles, frameskips, opl rate of the card, sb, sbpro1, sbpro2 etc...different memsize, blocksize, whatever!!! and its always lagging...

one last thing that might help poeple to help me: first, I was playing with the CD, obviously and then I just tried a virtual drive on my hard disk thinking that maybee it took it too much time to read the sounds on the CD (if the sound effects are actually on the CD...???) and it still lag when walking/running BUT loading the .VOC files (like when Carnbi tells his little story when you choose the character) loads much faster...I then made my life more enjoyable but I still have the lag and its VERY annoying to play like this...

Can anyone help me on this, since you have played the game?

Thanx!

Lab

Reply 6 of 6, by Lab

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'll try it but...

...just read the note release on the web page you gave me...last update says december 2004...will it ever be updated again or will we have to live with the fact that we cannot save in FITD (AITD2 and 3)???

Plus, mine is the CD versions 🙁 anyone ever tested the CD versions??

Thanx anyway though! (never know, maybee my quest is over soon! 😀)

Lab

p.s.: whoever says they played AITDs, do you guys mean Free In The Dark or the original AITD versions?? ...cause if FITD doesnt work for me, I'll be very sad...

p.s.2: and those who say AITD works with DOSBox 0.58 and not 0.60, ever tried 0.63? ...cause, guess my next move 'll be to regress to 0.58 and try it...