VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by iRelyt

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello, I recently installed DOSBOX on my computer running Ubuntu Lucid, everything works except for two issues I'm having with it...

1. In any game, the sound is terrible, either it sounds okay and just stutters or it's Just crackling noise that when I make a sound in game, it will crackle then slowly fade...extremely annoying, some other games it just stutters a lot.

2. I found that the games run slow...but if I increase the CPU cycle above about 3200 the mouse cursor will slowly start to move in one direction and not stop, and the farther I increase the CPU cycle the faster it moves in that direction non stop, if I decrease it below about 2500 and down, it does the same thing except in the opposite direction...

Help would be greatly appreciated 🙁 If I missed any needed info just ask.

Reply 3 of 35, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

what is your dosbox version and where have you got it from?
what are your PC specifications?

post content of "DOSBox Status Window" (in Windows: right click on its title bar -> edit)
enclose your dosbox's config file

and read the manual

Reply 5 of 35, by iRelyt

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, strangely the joystick does it too...in the exact same way as the mouse, and I tried that, mouse still does it. As for what robertmo asked..

It's version 0.73, and to install it I used the Linux terminal command sudo apt-get install dosbox, my PC specs are CPU: AMD Athlon 1.2Ghz Video: Nvidia Geforce FX 5200 Sound: I'm not Really sure, it's a sound card my brother sent me he said it was just an old Soundblaster, one command says it's an Esoniq, another says it's a Sigmatel, I don't know the difference...or how to specifically find out since it doesn't say on the card itself. RAM: 512MB.

As for the DOSBOX status window, when I start it:

DOSBox version 0.73
Copyright 2002-2009 DOSBox Team, published under GNU GPL.
---
CONFIG:Loading primary settings from config file /home/tyler/.dosbox/dosbox-0.73.conf
MIDI:Can't find device:coremidi, finding default handler.
ALSA:Can't subscribe to MIDI port (65:0) nor (17:0)
MIDI:Opened device:oss
Using joystick Logitech Logitech Attack 3 with 3 axes, 11 buttons and 0 hat(s)

And with the game running..

DOSBox version 0.73
Copyright 2002-2009 DOSBox Team, published under GNU GPL.
---
CONFIG:Loading primary settings from config file /home/tyler/.dosbox/dosbox-0.73.conf
MIDI:Can't find device:coremidi, finding default handler.
ALSA:Can't subscribe to MIDI port (65:0) nor (17:0)
MIDI:Opened device:oss
Using joystick Logitech Logitech Attack 3 with 3 axes, 11 buttons and 0 hat(s)
CPU:3500 cycles
CPU:4000 cycles
CPU:4500 cycles
CPU:5000 cycles
CPU:4166 cycles
CPU:3471 cycles

Just says the cycles changed when I changed them, no errors or anything it looks like...and as for the manual, it doesn't seem to have any fixes or anything for the problems in it for Linux, just Windows...

Attachments

• Filename
    dosbox-0.73.conf
    File size
    9.7 KiB
    Downloads
    232 downloads
    File comment
    This is my DosBOX config..
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 7 of 35, by iRelyt

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Okay, I uninstalled .73 and downloaded the source from the main site for .74, it compiled and install perfectly...however, now I can only get the cycles up to about 4155 without it doing that again...it lags a hell of a lot less up around 20000 but thats when the mouse and joystick are unuseable...

Reply 9 of 35, by iRelyt

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes...it stopped causing the cursor to drift away, however in this version I found an option under Joystick

timed: enable timed intervals for axis. Experiment with this option, if your joystick drifts (away).

I set it to false, and now it doesn't drift away anymore! Although now I have another issue...when I turn the CPU up so the game doesn't lag, the audio stutters EXTREMELY badly...

Reply 10 of 35, by Zirias

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Did you test any other apps using SDL for their sound output? Maybe it's just some OSS emulation not working, and I think OSS should really be avoided, so you could try running with the environment variable
SDL_AUDIODRIVER=alsa
(and make sure a version of SDL with alsa support is installed, on a debian system this would be either libsdl1.2debian-all or libsdl1.2debian-alsa)

Another random hint: If you are using some kind of frequency scaling, turn it off. It interferes badly with a lot of older games, even e.g. UT2k4, and of course with dosbox, too.

Reply 11 of 35, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

AMD Athlon 1.2Ghz Video: Nvidia Geforce FX 5200 Sound: I'm not Really sure

Well these PC specs resemble a pocket calculator by today's standards. Please try some "plain" DOS games, not those relatively demanding 3D titles you've mentioned. Have a look at your CPU usage while running the games. My guess is that DOSBox has problems maintaining emulation speed on your system and hence audio starts to stutter. As Zirias said you should also try running native Linux games and/or emulators and see how they behave.

Reply 12 of 35, by iRelyt

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Wine works perfectly...except not wanting to run everything, but thats not really an issue thats just Wine being Wine, the sound works perfectly in everything else...I switched it from OSS to ALSA and it's much better, as for frequency scaling...what is that and how do I turn it off?

Reply 16 of 35, by Zirias

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
iRelyt wrote:

as for frequency scaling...what is that and how do I turn it off?

I overlooked your system specs -- I don't think your CPU supports this (dynamic adaption of the CPU speed to the system load)...

So forget that, I think your system is really a LITTLE weak. I'm running a AMD64 x2 6000+ and it seems "just enough" for playing Screamer 2 in Dosbox...

Reply 17 of 35, by iRelyt

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Alright...I can't afford a faster computer, and I do have another one, but it's even slower...700Mhz and an old ATI Raedon 7000 for video...I considered running them side by side and just switching between monitors, with the actual DOS running on the older one, but I've never gotten DOS to work, nor FreeDos..

Reply 18 of 35, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well it's important to understand that DOSBox is very CPU intensive. For instance, I used to have a P4/2.6 Ghz with the fastest Radeon still available for AGP. The machine played mordern-ish games like S.T.A.L.K.E.R. or CoD2 quite well, but wasn't able to run SVGA games smoothly in DOSBox (bar a few examples). The CPU was too weak. For your system(s), installing Win9x/DOS natively may be the better alternative for playing old DOS games.

Reply 19 of 35, by Zirias

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Or you could try using dosemu instead, as it doesn't emulate the CPU but virtualizes the existing one, it may be fast enough on your system. But, be warned, it's much harder to setup than dosbox and you need a "real" DOS to use it 😀