VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by castiglione

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, all.

I was wondering if there was a way to program the hat switch of my joystick within Dosbox.

Specifically, I'm playing Red Baron I. Joystick, rudder and throttle work fine but this game was designed before hat switches so views are controlled by F1, F2, F3, etc. Is there any way to program the hat switch within Dosbox so that I can assign F1 to one direction of the hat switch and so on?

Thanks in advance!

C

Reply 3 of 19, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
SKARDAVNELNATE wrote:

In the conf file (DOSBox options) change joysticktype= to a value that supports Hat/D-Pad. You should be able to assign a key to it in keymapper (Ctrl-F1).

and introduce more bugs, but who needs the manual...

Reply 4 of 19, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You don't "introduce a bug" by using a program option, you introduce bugs by changing code (or coding at all (; ).

Anyway, robertmo, I'm curious with all these controller related posts recently: did you actually try using a controller with a flying game? I mean, did you connect your controller, set up everything in the conf and stuff like coolie hat (=switch views in most flying games), rudders and throttles worked without any additional configuration?

If the answer is "yes": which controller, which game and which setting(s)?

I'm asking because coolie hat on dpad, throttles and rudders never worked for me without resorting to the keymapper. Granted, I'm using a gamepad, not a flightstick, but analog axes should be analog axes, no matter if they are on a stick or on a pad. I've tried lots of different games and conf settings, too.

Reply 5 of 19, by SKARDAVNELNATE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I may have my order wrong. I forget that keymapper does the reverse of programmable controllers. I don't have a joystick to test if input from the hat is accepted for key binding but my understanding of the DOSBox 0.74 Manual suggests it should work more or less the way I stated.

Reply 8 of 19, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That's interesting... Gulikoza, can you say whether the hat functions as dpad or something else in "normal" games? As I've said, the dpad on my 360 pad doesn't work "out of the box". I have a Sidewinder around somewhere, but no PC with gameport.

Reply 10 of 19, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

by the way CH Flightstick doesn't have hat.
it is CH Flightstick Pro that has it.
it works in Comanche 3 (fcs works there too)
my saitek joystick, dualshock2 pad and xbox360 pad work fine in both games
fcs hat works in Apache too (the game has nice calibration/selection panel).
everything with default configuration (well timed had to be adjusted for drifting but it has nothing to do with it)

maybe your problem has sth to do with your xbox360 drivers

Reply 11 of 19, by castiglione

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've been trying to use the Dosbox mapper to try to map the F1 to F6 keys (which control views in Red Baron) to the hat switch directions but I can't seem to figure out how to make the mapper work.

As I understand it, BIND refers to the real world device and EVENT refers to what Dosbox interprets that event to mean. However, whenever I click on DEL or ADD, the mapper seems to want to change BIND rather than EVENT. In short, I want to make Dosbox make a certain hat direction be interpreted as, say, F1, or whatever, but the mapper only seems to work in the other direction.

Is there any way to do this within the dosbox config file?

Reply 13 of 19, by castiglione

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks, wd.

I can't believe I didn't think of that; for some reason, I was just caught up in the way I'm used to keymappers working and didn't realize I could do it the other way around.

Unfortunately, while the keymapper was just fine with assigning the various hat directions to F1 and so forth, it didn't work within the game.

Strange.

I'll have to play around with this but it SHOULD work as the keymapper recognized the hat switch.

Reply 16 of 19, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

castiglione: have you actually red the manual?

Any reason for mistyping this two times in a row?

WD: any reason for retyping the manual?

maybe he got tired of directing people to the manual and to make it easier on the poster. Nothing wrong with being nice once in a while...

Reply 18 of 19, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Dominus wrote:

maybe he got tired of directing people to the manual and to make it easier on the poster. Nothing wrong with being nice once in a while...

the result of this kind of "politeness" was easy to predict