VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by DML1001

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The new .60 version of DOSBox kicks ass. It can now run the vast majority of my old DOS games. I am having a problem with warcraft though. The game keeps checking for the CD, and even though I have mounted the cd drive as D:, the game will not recognize it.

Does anyone have a no-cd crack for the original warcraft, or does anyone know how to get games to recognize the CD drive properly?

Thanks
-DML1001

Reply 2 of 12, by DML1001

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I just tried this, but warcraft is still not recognizing the CD. I can hear the drive spin up when the game checks it now, but it is still rejected. Is there anything else I can try that might help?

I even tried installing the game off the CD entirely within dosbox, so I know that the cd is mounted correctly.

Reply 4 of 12, by DML1001

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes, I installed the game off the CD (I did a normal install, where videos are left on the CD), and the video plays correctly when I start up the game, so it can clearly read off of the CD.

I tried patching the game, but if you do that, it changes the copy protection scheme and it starts asking for words from the warcraft manual that I must have thrown out about 8 years ago 🙁

Reply 6 of 12, by icemann

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

DML1001: YOU THREW OUT YOUR WARCRAFT MANUAL 😠. All the Warcraft games had the best manuals (pictures + storyline wise).

Any other game I`d understand. But Warcraft. Nup. Thats just plain wrong.

Two stones, two crosses, the rest is just icing. - 7th Guest

Reply 7 of 12, by DML1001

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Right... I got the game back in 1995, when I was 12. My dad trashed all my game manuals and boxes in 1997, because I had about 200 of them and he complained that they were taking up too much space...

Reply 8 of 12, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've built up quite a collection of game boxes & related stuff over my 15-20 years of PC gaming as well. The last time I moved (about 3-4 months ago) I finally broke down and burned a lot of my game boxes. I saved all of the stuff inside the boxes though (put them in a small cardboard box) as well as some of the sleeves (e.g. to Sierra games) and a few whole boxes (collapsed to save on space though). Now they all take up only 1 or 2 small cardboard boxes instead of 3 or 4 huge ones 😉

Reply 9 of 12, by DoomWarrior

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
HunterZ wrote:

I've built up quite a collection of game boxes & related stuff over my 15-20 years of PC gaming as well. The last time I moved (about 3-4 months ago) I finally broke down and burned a lot of my game boxes. I saved all of the stuff inside the boxes though (put them in a small cardboard box) as well as some of the sleeves (e.g. to Sierra games) and a few whole boxes (collapsed to save on space though). Now they all take up only 1 or 2 small cardboard boxes instead of 3 or 4 huge ones 😉

whaaaattt 😮 you burn boxes ! You will go to hell for that. 😉
My Game Boxes are my sanctuary.