VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Sylth

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

okay, so I've installed 0.63 and 0.74 and I've got the same problem on both : I can't use the command mount c c:\
whenever I use the backslash, dosbox jumps one line and nothing happens. If I hit enter then it goes back to
Z:\>
I feel like I've seen all the walkthroughs out there on the net, i've read the dosbox wiki, the readme file, nobody seems to have heard of my problem. I'm kind of desperate here 😵

Reply 4 of 17, by Sylth

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

[quote]You've found line 179 of the DOSBox readme? [/quote]

[quote]Or http://www.dosbox.com/DOSBoxManual.html#Backslash[/quote]

well, I can do the backslash and the ":", but I can't write for example:

Z:\>mount c c:\games

because dosbox automatically writes:

Z:\>mount c c:\
games

is there a way to change the settings so the backslash doesn't jump to the next line?

Reply 5 of 17, by IIGS_User

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Sylth wrote:

Z:\>mount c c:\games

because dosbox automatically writes:

Z:\>mount c c:\

Read what we link and write mount c c:/games 😕

Klimawandel.

Reply 7 of 17, by Vindicator

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I had the same problem, but now everything works.

I created a .BAT file with the lines

set sdl_videodriver=windib
dosbox
pause

which i put in the directory with dosbox.exe in it. This solves both keyboard and graphics issues alike.

Put a link to the file on your desktop if you like.

Reply 9 of 17, by Vindicator

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have encountered this issue on several Vista PCs. All had different hardware/driver configurations. On some systems there were no problems at all. Others showed wrong colours when using an editor like QBasic or Turbo Pascal in Text Mode. Or, under DOS it used to be Text Mode (400x700@70Hz). The background colour was red instead of blue. Some had the backslash issue, others hadn't. Vista behaves like a randomizer in this respect. Some had SP1, others hadn't. I didn't have the opportunity to write down the configurations. Would have been a nice test case. sdlwindib solves virtually everything.

Windows 7 is destined to have similar problems since its kind of Vista 2.

By the way, does DosBox really use Text Mode in fullscreen, when in a text editor or on the command line? Does it depend on the output method?

Reply 11 of 17, by Vindicator

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

In Dosbox 0.74 it isn't needed.

Some months ago i needed windib to solve the backslash in 0.73. But now it works in 0.73 and 0.74 without using windib. Couldn't find out why. It is still the same pc and the same Vista Ultimate 32. But i updated the drivers for my Geforce 8600M GT and changed my ram modules. 4GB instead of 2GB.

Reply 14 of 17, by IIGS_User

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Vindicator wrote:

In Dosbox 0.72 now the backslash doesn't work either way. But i'm using 0.74 anyway.

No one needs backslash. Everyone uses / instead. 😉

Klimawandel.

Reply 15 of 17, by TeaRex

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Vindicator wrote:

By the way, does DosBox really use Text Mode in fullscreen, when in a text editor or on the command line? Does it depend on the output method?

No, it does not. It uses a graphics mode and draws the characters into it. If you set it up to use 720x400 and 70 Hz mode though, neither your monitor nor you will ever know the difference.

(I know the question is old, but since it hadn't been answered...)

tearex

Reply 16 of 17, by Myloch

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I found another way: use ctrl-F1, watch where is \ key on your real keyboard, select the key in the dosbox virtual keyboard that is in the same position of your real \ key (it was the button near the 1 key in my pc) and bind that key to another key on the keyb (I used the right arrow key). save and try, it worked for me and might work for you as well. Now I can use backlash using the left arrow key in dosbox. (Better to disable this bind when not necessary).

Reply 17 of 17, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

On my PC I have this issue when my USB remote sensor is plunged in.

Unplug it and all works as it should...

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel