VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Daniel (Sweden)

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello Folks!

I just downloaded the latest version of Dosbox (060), and I must say that this version was absolutely the best this far. Almost all my old dos games workes in this version, so I must give my compliments to the creators.
I do have some small questions though! On my computer I use two OS (Win98(fe)/2000), and I noticed that the program worked better in win2000. Then a question came to my mind: will the finished version of Dosbox be compatible with Win95/98???
I understand that dosbox is most needed by people using newer OS since 95/98(fe) can handle dosgames. The only problem in 95/98 might be that the hardware do not support dos mode in Windows (or dos).
Well...my idea was to ask about the future planes for Dosbox used in those older OS since I always install an older OS when I format my harddrive. Dosbox worked very well with 98 though, but the differences where these:

* Win98 only supported the "none" scaler, higher made the sound go blur/echo (while Win2000 could handle all three scales)

* Win98 could not use CDROM, While Win 2000 could!

Will these things eventually be supported even by Win95/98 or are these older OS only to work with more basic functions?

Well, that was my questions for now. It was not meant to critisise, this version was, as I said before, the absolutely best one this far since I gave me almost all my games back.

Thanks In Advance!

/Daniel (Sweden)

Reply 1 of 3, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Well:

Dosbox is written (mostly) platform independed.

so for your problems:

cdrom win98: download aspi drivers, mount -aspi
cdrom win2000: mount -ioctl
general/both : mount -t cdrom

for scalers: that's truely platform independed. So get newer videodrivers/sdl/directX

sound: the same as scalers..

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!