VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by SepticLemon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I need a bit of help with using DOSBOX with Steam, now I have been looking around for the solution that I need but I find nothing, either on this forum or on Google. If there's a solution on the forum, I'll apologise in advance...

But lets get into the nitty gritty...

I have all my DOS games running in DOSBOX smoothly and how I want them to work, with the right use of cycles, fullscreen, directories, and ISO files. I built up a set of conf files for each DOS game, something to the likes of this...

discW.conf
GABE.conf
GABE2.conf
themeH.conf
themeP.conf

and then I have individual shortcuts for each game that I can use in Windows, double clicking them loads up the conf file into DOSBOX

"ThemePark" - C:\Games\DOSBox-0.74\DOSBox.exe -conf themeP.conf

Now, this works perfectly fine in Windows, however... I'm a bit of a steam user, and I'd like to use the shortcuts in Steam as a "Non-Steam" game, however each time I select the shortcuts I see this...

"C:\Games\DOSBox-0.74\DOSBox.exe"

It cuts out the conf command that I used in the shortcut. So all that it does it runs DOSBOX with the default conf with no autoexec. Question is, how do I run my DOSBOX conf files within steam? The ironic thing is, Steam games you buy give you and option to add a command though the "Launch options" setting in the properties, but you can't do this for Non-steam games. Now, what I can see is a "Target" and a "Start in" in the properties for Non Steam games, and yes I tried to do "C:\Games\DOSBox-0.74\DOSBox.exe -conf themeP.conf" in the Target, but I end up with an error assuming that Steam believes that "-conf themeP.conf" is a part of program name rather than a command.

So, anyone got any solutions to this? I would like to have all my games on Steam as well as my Windows and DOS games.

EDIT: PS I have a similar problem with SCUMMVM too, if anyone can help me with this too will be much appreciated.

Reply 1 of 6, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

create a bat file that runs dosbox with the options you want.
Think this is what IDSoftware as well

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 2 of 6, by SepticLemon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok, I just quickly tried that out, turns out that Steam only looks at executables (*.exe) or shortcuts to executables only 🙁

Would've been great if there was a "All Files" option in the open window, but it's just *.exe only.

EDIT: Thinking about it, can you treat a batch file as an executable? as in turning .BAT into .EXE? I'll try it out, but I doubt it...

EDIT2: And no... Windows didn't like that, 🤣. Still if it did work it would be a clever way to trick Steam into running a batch file rather than an executable.

Reply 3 of 6, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I don't have it handy at the moment, but offhand, isn't there a field where you can enter "-conf themeP.conf " as a parameter ? (That's the way it works for Source engine games.)

Otherwise, it is a fairly trivial matter to write a Python script that will launch things appropriately, and to compile the script into an EXE. It's not even remotely elegant, but it is fairly trivial.

Last edited by Jorpho on 2010-09-24, 16:46. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 4 of 6, by SepticLemon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes, but only in Steam games...

SepticLemon wrote:

The ironic thing is, Steam games you buy give you and option to add a command though the "Launch options" setting in the properties, but you can't do this for Non-steam games. Now, what I can see is a "Target" and a "Start in" in the properties for Non Steam games, and yes I tried to do "C:\Games\DOSBox-0.74\DOSBox.exe -conf themeP.conf" in the Target, but I end up with an error assuming that Steam believes that "-conf themeP.conf" is a part of program name rather than a command.

Which is dumb indeed, especially if you have non-steam games that might need parameters like the ABA games.

Reply 5 of 6, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You could try tricking STEAM by playing around with quotes, like for example:
"C:\Games\DOSBox-0.74\DOSBox.exe -conf themeP.conf"
""C:\Games\DOSBox-0.74\DOSBox.exe -conf themeP.conf""
'C:\Games\DOSBox-0.74\DOSBox.exe -conf themeP.conf'
etc.

If STEAM insists on an exe you could use a scripting language with a "compiler", as Jorpho suggested. I would use AutoIT, as I'm already quite familiar with the language. The problem with this approach is that you'd need one script/exe for each game. An "all in one" script would probably be much easier to use (and maintain). With some nifty programming, like for example by querying the current directory (which can be set via the STEAM shortcut, as you say), implementing an "all in one" script could be possible.

Another solution would be to create separate DOSBox directories for each game, and put the respective conf in each dir with a filename of "dosbox.conf". AFAIK, if DOSBox can't find a "dosbox.conf" in the current user's profile dir, it will use the one in the current directory.

Reply 6 of 6, by SepticLemon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ah ha! Got it!

Ok, I really do appreciate you guys helping me out! ADDiCT had a solution, even though it wasn't 100% right.

This is how it works...

Target: "C:\Games\DOSBox-0.74\DOSBox.exe" -conf themeP.conf

The Parameters go OUTSIDE AND AFTER the quotations!

Even if you guys didn't give me the exact solution, at least you put me the right direction! Thanks guys!

EDIT: With this I can use parameters in other games such as ABA's Torus Trooper, without the parameters, all you get is fullscreen in 800*600, ick, but now I can use -res 1280 1024 after the quotations, it now makes Steam much more flexible!