VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by justanomad

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

My Dos application (accounting) complains with a runtime error since I upgraded computer. It's a Athlon XP2200+ and Win98 sec ed. 512 RAM. It seems it does not like this cpu.

I installed DosBox (latest) this morning, but app complains that it does not have enough file handles. App runs, so I know dosBox works but it can't do all modules (some crash due to file handles)

I created a config and it runs (I put in a mount and cd command) BUT the FCBS and FILES don't work. Whatever I do, app still says not enough handles, increase them in the config.sys.

in the [dos] section
fcbs=50 (I tried 20, 25, 30 ...)
files=50 (I tried 20, 25, 30 ...)
xms=true
ems=true
I left out and put in dpmi=true and false

Many Thx.

Reply 2 of 10, by justanomad

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I agree, I don't see it. If dosbox can't allow for that, how can I convince or give my app the necessary handles? It would be a shame, 'cause I think dosbox is a fantastic program.

Is it in a future release?

Many thx.

Reply 4 of 10, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I don't know what Operating System you are using. Anyway:

Try to run the program natively, but make some changes first:

A) If you are running Win95, 98, 98SE, edit the CONFIG.SYS file that is located in the root folder of your booting drive and add (or modify) these statements

BUFFERS=30
FILES=150
FCBS=4
STACKS=9,256

B) If you are running WinXP (and possibly true for W2000 too), go to SYSTEM32 folder and edit CONFIG.NT, add the following:

FILES=150

Reboot and try loading the offending program again.

Reply 6 of 10, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I would try a slow down program. The run-time error might be because the pc runs too fast. (old turbo pascal compiled programs problem or something like that?)

Reply 7 of 10, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If it is runtime error 200, it's a known timing issue with older Borland compiled programs. Try looking for "runtime error 200 fix" or "tp7patch" in google. You'll eventually find a patch.

Reply 9 of 10, by justanomad

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Tried those fixes. No luck. Thx guys, will have to go to pc emulators or linux.

Many thx for help, and many thx to developers of dosbox. I'll be using it from time to time - a great prog.

Reply 10 of 10, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Have you tried running it natively? You can specify a FILES statement in CONFIG.SYS file. Most ms-dos clipper programs NEED FILES=150 in CONFIG.SYS.
Also, since you're running W98, you could boot into real ms-dos mode and try it out.