VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by thedoctor45

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have read somewhere that it is possible to make dosbox correctly recognize large drive images that use more than 512 MB of disk space.

This is my experience with disk images so far:

DOSBox is incorrectly reporting the size of the disk, that may be due to either a DOSBox bug or a problem with MS-DOS. I don't know exactly which one, but I've found that hard disk images with a size of over 512 MB (or a cylinder count of over 1000) tend to be problematic. They'll work, but you'll only be able to use a portion.

Im trying to install Win98 atm but am unable to properly use an image with more than 1000 cylinders.

Does anyone know how to bypass that problem?

Reply 2 of 14, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Use HAL9000's Build of DOSBox to create images.

Images up to 2gb are detected by DOSBox 0.74 just fine.

Use Virtual PC\Vmware\VirtualBox for Windows 98.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 3 of 14, by thedoctor45

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

you're talking about Megabuild 5?

That one won't compile on OSX out of the box.

Would Bochs bximage work too?

I was using a 0.73 build for formatting the images - you mean 0.74 will not have difficulties?

Reply 7 of 14, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

try a virtualizer (vmware or virtualbox) and run Windows inside that, then use h-a-l's MB 😀

@Dosfreak, I'm pretty sure that it is about the 3dfx chip emulation thread 😀

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 8 of 14, by thedoctor45

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dominus wrote:

try a virtualizer (vmware or virtualbox) and run Windows inside that, then use h-a-l's MB 😀

@Dosfreak, I'm pretty sure that it is about the 3dfx chip emulation thread 😀

Well I am using Parallels and VMWare, but DOSBox boots the OS faster and the fact that DOSBox can easily be wrapped inside of an app bunde allows me to make it standalone.

VMWare and Parallels are huge apps that take longer to start and are not that simple to execute - All I want is a quickly accessible Win9x environment. That's about the only reason why I'm fiddling with this.

The Voodoo emulation is nice and kinda works but doesn't deliver a playable performance on my setup atm - not in pure DOS and certainly not in any Win9x environment.

Reply 9 of 14, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

You misunderstood me, use the virtualizer only for accessing hal's megabuild to use the Imgmake function and setting the image up and then use the image in the actual version 😉

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 10 of 14, by thedoctor45

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

oops, my bad 😜

PS: Anyway, it worked and I now have a Win98 guest booting through DOSBox on OSX but it´s not stable - as soon as I try to access the C Drive with explorer.exe it crashes and I have to quit the app.

Is this a common problem or related to the OSX build?
If anyone here is as crazy as me and has gotten a Win98 installation properly working in DOSBox tell me how you did it 🤣...

Reply 12 of 14, by ppgrainbow

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

thedoctor45, official releases of DOSBox do not support hard disk images larger than 512 MB (504 MB actual, due to the 1,024 cylinder count limit). H-A-L-9000's IMGMAKE utility has support for hard disks of up to 2 GB. Hard disk images created with IMGMAKE and between 504 MB to 2 GB can be read under DOSBox 0.74, but cannot be recreated with FDISK.

You can recompile DOSBox and include a fix that can eliminate the 512 MB hard disk limit, but it will require quite a bit of work. 😀

Furthermore, Windows 95 and Windows 98 were never made to be 100% stable under DOSBox and because developers do not wish to spend the resources fixing the bugs in one of these two operating systems.

Reply 13 of 14, by OSH

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Images up to 2gb are detected by DOSBox 0.74 just fine.

And what with larger images? They aren't detected? I've made 4,5 GB image, and DOSBOX recognizes it, but only partially. It is visible, but I can't copy anything on it.