VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Fiery Phoenix

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Why cant there be a front end for this like Scumm? Or D-Fend on the PC.

Been googling for help before I posted on here and I found this:

My workaround was to edit the conf file... […]
Show full quote

My workaround was to edit the conf file...

I created a folder "dos" when connected to my PC
Open the terminal and type

Code:
$ cd ./dosbox
$ vi dosbox-0.73.conf

At the end of the file ([autoexec] part) I added the following lines:

Code:
mount c /home/users/MyDocs/dos
c:

When I open DosBox it mounts the c partition and goes there automatically now.

The problem is when I enter cd ./dosbox I get the folowing error in xterminal - can't cd to ./dosbox

Grrrr

Reply 1 of 10, by ripa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Why cant there be a front end for this like Scumm? Or D-Fend on the PC.

No one's made one 😉

The problem is when I enter cd ./dosbox I get the folowing error in xterminal - can't cd to ./dosbox

Did you create that directory before trying to chdir to it?

Reply 3 of 10, by ripa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't have a Linux installation at hand but I'll try to walk you through anyway. You've probably installed dosbox from some repository. Ideally it should have installed 0.74, but you seem to have 0.73. When you start xterminal, it probably starts in your home directory. Make a directory called dosgames there: mkdir dosbox. Then put your games in that directory.

Then start dosbox (I think just by typing dosbox in the terminal). It opens a new dosbox window and prints stuff in the terminal window. In the terminal window, it says where it has loaded its config file from. If you want to edit the config file, write down its location so you know where to find it. In the dosbox window, type: mount c ~/dosgames This will create a C drive for you in dosbox. You can add this to the autoexec section of the config file so that you don't have to type it every time you launch dosbox. Now your dosbox has a C drive whose contents will match whatever's in your dosgames directory.

edit: I'm not actually sure if the ~/dosgames notation works in dosbox in Linux. If not, replace it with /home/yourusername/dosgames.

Reply 4 of 10, by Fiery Phoenix

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for taking the time to explain - I'm usually ok with emulators and had no problem on my PC, but this is a different beast all together!

So I make the directory in xterminal? I type in mkdir dosbox and press return and nothing happens ( presuming this is correct )

I then type in dosbox and as you said, it loads up staight away.

When it comes to mounting the drive - what is the symbol after C? I know we cannot type : into DosBox - where is this symbol found

Reply 5 of 10, by Fiery Phoenix

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Gone back to the original again and I am getting stuck at this bit:

At the end of the file ([autoexec] part) I added the following lines: […]
Show full quote

At the end of the file ([autoexec] part) I added the following lines:

Code:
mount c /home/users/MyDocs/dos
c:

Reply 6 of 10, by ripa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So I make the directory in xterminal? I type in mkdir dosbox and press return and nothing happens ( presuming this is correct )

Mkdir doesn't output anything if it succesfully creates a directory. If you try it again, it should complain that the directory already exists. So now you have the dosgames directory. Type pwd in xterminal to see what your current directory is (it's probably something along the lines of /home/yourusername). Remember it. Then fire up dosbox and type mount c /home/yourusername/dosgames (use the correct path here). Then you can access the dosgames directory as C: in dosbox.

Reply 10 of 10, by ripa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

With a text editor like pico or nano - I don't know what's installed on N900 by default. You can also edit the config file outside xterminal by using some non-terminal text editor like gedit.