VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Foxhack

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've been using DOSBox to play through Duke Nukem (retail version included with Duke Nukem 3D registered CD version) and the game runs fine, but whenever I try to record a video using the built-in recorder, the game starts to slow down more and more, up until a point where it runs at 1 FPS... or slower.

What's funny is that the video itself runs at normal speed!

When I stop recording, the game speed goes back to normal, but if I try to record stuff again, the game slows down as it did before.

I tried this with Alone In The Dark (PC Gamer CD release) and it behaved similarly. The game ran fine for a few minutes, then it started to skip and slow down, until it eventually just got too slow. And again, the video worked fine. No skips.

I'm using a stock DOSBox 0.74 downloaded from this website, and I'm running Windows XP Pro. My CPU is an AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ Black Edition, 2 GB RAM, GeForce 8400 GS 256MB video card. Surface output.

Reply 1 of 14, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I *think* this issue was already reported and fixed in SVN. Qbix should know 😀

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 3 of 14, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yup use another drive.

Also use DDRAW or OPENGL and don't have DOUBLE BUFFERING enabled.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 4 of 14, by Foxhack

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Why would changing the capture drive make a difference? I mean, the game isn't loading stuff constantly from the hard drive. It's like a meg or so.

Also, I'm stuck on Surface because my video card is godawfully slow and anything but that will make the video blurry.

Reply 5 of 14, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Why would changing the capture drive make a difference?

What about trying it instead of questioning the recommendations?

Also the first reply may be the most interesting one anyways.

I'm stuck on Surface because my video card is godawfully slow and anything but that will make the video blurry.

The recording is unaffected and yes, there are cheap up to date graphics
cards available almost everywhere.

Reply 6 of 14, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Foxhack wrote:

Fragmentation? Cache speed?

Foxhack wrote:

Also, I'm stuck on Surface because my video card is godawfully slow and anything but that will make the video blurry.

No it won't. AVI captures in DOSBox don't take your output mode or scaler into account at all. The "slowness" of your video card is probably because of nvidia's poor palette handling. You can safely play in ddraw or opengl instead without blur in the video.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 7 of 14, by Foxhack

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
wd wrote:

What about trying it instead of questioning the recommendations?

... because I wanted to know why it would make a difference. As in, why does the performance improve. Or something. Jeez. 🙁

Also, I can't afford a new video card. I don't have much spare money after bills. Or a stable job, but that's neither here or there. Not everyone lives in a country where cheap computer parts are easy to acquire...

And leilelol, in regards to blurry video, I meant the image on the DOSBox window, not the actual video being recorded. This card isn't just bad, it doesn't work well with the latest drivers since it's kinda old, and I don't think testing different driver packs just to see which ones work well is worth the hassle. Even simple stuff like a video in VideoLan looks awful when scaled with this card.

Since my original question has been answered, I suppose there's nothing left for me to do but wait for the next DOSBox release. Thanks for your help.

Reply 8 of 14, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Foxhack wrote:

Also, I can't afford a new video card.

It's nVidia - it's new enough (Geforce+) to make fullcreen surface output so slow. Maybe you should stick to windowed mode or a non-surface output, it'll most likely be the fastest there since they aren't 8-bit color (and 8-bit color with nvidia hardware is a real performance regression). I don't even think waiting for a new DOSBox will be a solution. A new video card won't help you, either (well at least a new one that is nvidia 😉 ).

DOSBox doesn't even demand a powerful video card at all - even onboard 1mb SVGA is enough for surface. 😀

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 9 of 14, by Foxhack

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am using Windowed mode. This thing just likes to blur anything that isn't 1x scale for no reason at all. This card is good for an emergency Windows reinstall or something, but I HATE IT.

But, family obligations come before gaming, so I'm stuck with this for who knows how much longer.

Reply 10 of 14, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

My netbook runs DOSBox just fine!

If you are using openGL, make sure you select that other option (OPENGLNB) which doesn't use bilinear filtering for smoothing out things.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 11 of 14, by Foxhack

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm using Surface, but I'll give OPENGLNB a shot.

Edit:
Okay. I changed output to OpenGLNB, and it looks like I didn't get any slowdowns this time. I recorded a video for three and a half minutes and didn't notice any slowdowns, but I'll test with other games later.

So now I'm confused - was the issue caused by the output I was using?

Reply 12 of 14, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

did you read the first reply ? that might help as well ?
Although the issue was really slowing dosbox down if you recorded a long time.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 13 of 14, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

So now I'm confused - was the issue caused by the output I was using?

So you finally changed the output and it was faster and now you're confused?
Do you really need an in-depth analysis of that?

And please don't call me Jeez again, that's a secret.

Reply 14 of 14, by Foxhack

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Qbix wrote:

did you read the first reply ? that might help as well ?
Although the issue was really slowing dosbox down if you recorded a long time.

I did read the first reply. I know the problem has been fixed in the latest SVN build. But I'll just wait for the next stable release, since it's you know, stable and won't melt my monitor or call up an ancient deity. 😐 😵