VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by tHeClonner

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

This is my first post and I have a problem with an Abandonware game from middle 80s.
I made a copy for this floppy with Teledisk, so I have a TD0 imagefile. This TD0 image has a copy-protected scheme based on bad sectors, so any translation to WinImage file format fails because these bad sectors are removed (or IMA file format reader of DosBox doesn't take care of) and the game doesn't work when mounted in Dosbox (either BOOT or IMGMOUNT commands).
Some time ago, the MESS group implemented Teledisk (td0) support to their emulator, so the copy-protection scheme is preserved and then the game works!!!
I think that would be a great thing that DosBox could support this Teledisk image format in a near future to be a better emulator if possible 😉. I also think that being MESS an Open Source project suchs as DosBox, this code implementation would be easy. Is anyone interested in implement this td0 support?
Thanks!!

Reply 2 of 11, by tHeClonner

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

If you consider Teledisk as a abandonware, IMD, Open-Source now-a-days file format (ImageDisk) would be great too!
If you consider my game as abandonware imagine this is written in 2008.
If you consider my game and Teledisk are both Abandonware, imagine it's a Dave ImageDisk (http://www.classiccmp.org/dunfield/img29374/imd117.zip) of a disk from 2009. 😜

Reply 4 of 11, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Think this is just some mis-wording of the poster, replace abandonware with
"old program I legally own and would like to see supported through the implementation
of a lower-level floppy image format".
Don't know if anybody is interested in implementing this though, but there seems to
be good information about the td0 file format on the net.

I also think that being MESS an Open Source project suchs as DosBox

Different (incompatible) license to be aware of.

Reply 5 of 11, by tHeClonner

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

"old program I legally own and would like to see supported through the implementation
of a lower-level floppy image format".

That's what I meant. I missunderstaned "Abandonware" concept, sorry.
Is this implementation possible?

Reply 6 of 11, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

If you have some time left, it seems possible at a quick glance, there's enough
information including a GPL implementation of a reader.

This aside, you'd have to add some special features though as currently nothing
like a "bad sector" is known to dosbox, if your application is fine with int13 for this
(and no port-based access happens) this should be possible as well.

Reply 7 of 11, by tHeClonner

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok. Thanks. What can I do to help to support this? I have no idea in programming... Can anybody help me? A good thing would be that the image were load with BOOT command because this application have two disks interchangeables successively (first disk1, afterwards disk 2).
The only thing I can imagine is to supply the teledisk images to test.

Reply 8 of 11, by Neville

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
wd wrote:

Don't know if anybody is interested in implementing this though, but there seems to be good information about the td0 file format on the net.

Well, that could fix a number of games with rare disk protections. In the past I've exchanged PMs with the team regarding running "El enigma de Aceps", a Spanish text adventure, under DOSBox. It recently turned out that the issue was the 5 1/4 floppies having extra sectors.

In the end some guy from another board, who also found out about the extra sectors, managed to create some working WinImage files, but it would have been helpful if DOSBox supported Teledisk images. The extra step of converting Teledisk images to WinImage (he says he used Image Disk v1.17) can be tricky. In this particular case he first ended up with 368 Kb images (instead of the usual 360 kb) and DOSBox wouldn't accept them.

The problem is that I can't tell how many titles would benefit of adding Teledisk support. I don't know of any website that lists games which came with floppy protections and are still unplayable under DOSBox.

Reply 9 of 11, by vicvan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi.

I'm collecting many of copy protected games for IBM PC.
I'm dumping many of copy protected games to run PCE emulator.
PCE emulator supports copy protected track/sector with INT 13 handling.
Most of copy protected games runs well without crack.
I use the following utility to make diskimage of copy protected.

Teledisk 2.15r (*.TD0) (Registeed version via Direct Access / no via BIOS)
Anadisk 2.07 (*.ANA)
FDA 6.1 (BIOS must support 2ea of floppy. Not only 1.) (*.BIN)
Imagedisk 1.17 (*.IMD)

MESS doesn't run copy protected image because of non support INT13.
Only PCE (IBM PC 5150) emulator supports copy protected disk now.

To add copy protected disk, I think author of DOSBOX had better
refer the source of PCE emulator at first.
Of course, sample disk image of copy protected is needed.

PCE emulator supports the following disk image file.

.TD0 -- Teledisk
ANA -- Anadisk
.IMD -- Imagedisk
.IMA -- Standard disk image.
.pfdc -- other extended disk image for PCE emulator.

>Some time ago, the MESS group implemented Teledisk (td0) support to >their emulator, so the copy-protection scheme is preserved and then the >game works!!!

I've tested this on mess with td0 image.
But all of my copy protected games doesn't work

>I think that would be a great thing that DosBox could support this >Teledisk image format in a near future to be a better emulator if >possible Wink. I also think that being MESS an Open Source project >suchs as DosBox, this code implementation would be easy. Is anyone >interested in implement this td0 support?

I hope DosBox support Int13 handling just like PCE emulator.

Last edited by vicvan on 2011-02-09, 19:42. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 11 of 11, by vicvan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've tested my copy protected games with .td0
(Ikari Warriors / Bad Dudes / Arkanoid / F-15 Strike Eagle).
But it doesn't run on DOSBOX / MESS with copy protected track / sector.
(Only run on PCE)