VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by CatWoman55

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just recently I reinstalled KQ6 and KQ7 from my Roberta Williams Anthology. Both games run just fine in DOSBox, there's only one big problem - when I record the games with CTRL-ALT-F5, everything is captured, video, speech, SFX, but not the music!

I have tried all three versions that there are on my computer: 0.65, 0.73 and 0.74 - nothing. Always the same, no music is captured. I tried to run the games with DFend Reloaded and directly via DOS-Box. Same results.

Every other game is captured with everything there's in it - it's just these two, and it drives me nuts. Does anybody have a hint?

Thanks in advance!
😀

Reply 2 of 15, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Both are MIDI except for the CD audio track of Girl in the Tower, which plays at the end of the Windows version of KQ6. The DOS version uses a digital recording of the song that is embedded in the audio resources of the game, not the CD audio track.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 3 of 15, by CatWoman55

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The "Girl in The Tower" song as well as the intro of KQ7 are being recorded with music, just the rest is not. As I recall, all sound incl. music is in the resource.aud, and as I can HEAR it, it seems to be allright. I copied this file to my hard drive, then also tried mounting the CD ROM, but nothing helps, the result is always the same - speech and SFX are captured, ingame music is not.

Reply 5 of 15, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If it's MIDI that is being played through an external software synthesizer (such as the one built into Windows which DOSBox uses by default) or external hardware synthesizer then DOSBox will not be able to capture it because DOSBox is not the one producing that audio stream. If you want to capture that in the same recording as the rest of DOSBox's audio output, you may need to record with a separate audio recording application.

Edit: The only practical alternative I can think of would be using DOSBox's GUS emulation for decent music, or DOSBox's Sound Blaster / Adlib emulation if you really don't care about quality.

Reply 6 of 15, by bloodbat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You could try using Audacity (Free and open source) as recording software and selecting "What U hear" (in the case of X-Fi) or "Stereo Mix" (in the case of Realtek) as the sound input source, create a big enough file (timewise); press record and play away, all sound will be recorded.
You could also try Goldwave.
Of course I'm assuming you use Windows and have one of those two cards. Under Linux it's probably possible but right now I don't know how, google is your friend.
For other soundcards I'm pretty sure there are similar options.
Hope it helps.

Reply 9 of 15, by CatWoman55

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well... considering that this is going to be a longplay of around four hours in one piece, it's pretty annoying 😀

I am still trying to figure out a better way (which does not include Fraps! 😀)

Reply 11 of 15, by MusicallyInspired

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just play the game with Sound Blaster/Adlib music. It's better anyway! 😁

Yamaha FB-01/IMFC SCI tools thread
My Github
Roland SC-55 Music Packs - Duke Nukem 3D, Doom, and more.

Reply 12 of 15, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
MusicallyInspired wrote:

Just play the game with Sound Blaster/Adlib music. It's better anyway! 😁

OPL music was second-tier in Sierra games pretty much since they started using it. Looking at your avatar reminds me that they even rearranged the MMX Firehawk soundtrack for the MT-32 and then made that work with OPL, when they probably could have made it sound much cooler on OPL by doing a more direct translation from the original.

Reply 15 of 15, by bloodbat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ok, after seeing much grief about capturing video for DosBox in this and another thread I decided to test recording a video of King's Quest 7 myself...and you *CAN* capture the raw MIDI commands (Ctrl-Alt-F8) and get a nice .mid file that will probably be better and easier on your resources than recording with Audacity (I got no lag), you'll still have to edit everything to synchronize it, though, since, for example, music changes from the desert to the scorpion cave and such; to use the midi in a movie you'll probably have to render it too...but it should be less taxing on your resources if done without dosbox running, it can be done the same way you were recording or with a number of programs like...say...FL Studio.