VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by iG0r

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hi!

is there a way to set a config.sys? i tryt to run wing commander 3 (heart of the tiger) and error "illegal call 7" stops the game at the beginning?

when i run the wc3.exe without dosbox the game need the config.sys and the files=25 setting.

i run dosbox (v0.60) under winxp-pro sp1.

another strange thing is: i cant typ a backslash like \. when i mount c, i use mount c c:/foldername and it works 😀

thx

Reply 1 of 3, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You can create a CONFIG.SYS file in C:\ manually. Nobody prevents you from doing so. I don't get it.
Regarding FILES under DOSBox i tried a clipper app, which needs FILES=150 and it kicked me out to desktop.

As for the backslash issue it has been discussed a lot of times now. Use the SEARCH feature to find out.

Reply 3 of 3, by MajorGrubert

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You should be able to run Wing Commander 3 using VDMSound under Windows XP, DOSBox is not an alternative for it right now.

Go to the VDMSound forum and read the instructions present in the first threads. Then use the search box in the upper right corner to look for other threads about WC3.

By the way, I believe there is no need to change files or anything else in config.sys to run WC3. Take a look at your config.nt file (under c:\windows\system32), it should have a line with "files = 40" and this is the standard setting for a DOS VDM under Windows XP. I run WC3 under VDMSound with Windows XP without ever tweaking config.sys.

Regards,

Major Grubert

Athlon 64 3200+/Asus K8V-X/1GB DDR400/GeForce FX 5700/SB Live! 5.1