VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Jamesapp

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,

I recently got dosbox up and running on my MacBook pro laptop running Mac os x snow leopard. I got some dos games, and I am wondering how to get a joystick configured?

I have one joystick that has one button on top of the controller, and it can move in 4 directions. I don't know the name of the connection, it has 5 female holes on top and 4 on the bottom.

I have a USB adaptor that I have used on my MacBook with another device. I have a driver for it, I had used it with a double talk lt speech synthesizer.

Anyway I would love to be able to use this joystick with some of the games I have. And if someone knew if this was possible or could point me in the right direction that would be great.

Thanks

Reply 1 of 11, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Attach it and if all goes well you will be able to use it with games that support Joysticks. SDL should handle it right away, at least it does so for me on OS X.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 3 of 11, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

No need to do anything, sdl is the underlying library which 'communicates' with the OS. It's compiled into the dosbox.app. I'm sorry, I was just too technical.
So just plugging the joystick in and starting Dosbox should be enough.

DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 4 of 11, by Fuzy2K

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am running Snow Leopard on my iMac, and I am trying to get my Sidewinder Force Feedback 2 to work in DOSBox, but I can't get my games (Doom and Commander Keen) to work with it.

My Mac recognizes it in the System Profiler, but when Doom asks me to center the joystick and press button 1 (which I believe is the trigger), it does nothing.

Can anybody help me?

Reply 5 of 11, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Does dosbox see it? Look at the console messages right when dosbox starts

Reply 7 of 11, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

(MAC OS X) start terminal.app and navigate to:
/applications/dosbox.app/contents/macos/dosbox

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!