VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Jamesapp

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,

I have used other dos versions. At the command prompt I use to be able to type debug and enter a debug environment.

I am wondering how to get this for dosbox. I wondered can I get just the debug software and install it in my current version of dosbox? Or do I have to reinstall dosbox?

I would if I could just install the debug software but don't know if I can. I was wondering if anyone could help me figure this out. And maybe point me to where I could get the software?

Thanks

Reply 1 of 6, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

you have to use a real DOS installed on Dosbox. This is done by hard drive images of which you "boot" from within Dosbox. The guides section has a guide on hard drive images.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 3 of 6, by Jamesapp

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,
I downloaded a version of freedos, it has a debug program. But I don't know if it is bootable the way I installed it.

If I change to the directory where I hot freedos, it has an autexec.bat file, but I don't know if the way I installed it makes it bootable.

Does bootable mean, within dosbox you boot freedos? Can you boot it by just cd into the directory?

Reply 4 of 6, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Reread what I wrote about booting but also what hunterz wrote. The freedos debug and probably the ms dos one run in Dosbox (without booting those DOS OS').

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 5 of 6, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
HunterZ wrote:

DOSBox can also be compiled to have a built-in debugger, but I don't know the details on that.

Rather than struggling with compulation, it is much easier to download a precompiled version:
DOSBox debugger

For a more recent version, the debug-enabled DOSBox was also included in ykhwong's build, last time I checked:
http://ykhwong.x-y.net/