VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by rudytunz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am new to DOSBOX but successfully mounted an old 16-bit Day-Timer program in an effort to rebuild a database within the program -- which cannot be accessed in Win7. When I enter the programs EXE command I get the above error that program must be run under Windows. What might I be doing wrong? Thanks!

Reply 1 of 29, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

first off, it must be run in Microsoft Windows. You can figure this out by analyzing your error message output, which reads:

The program must be run in Microsoft Windows.

breaking this down, you will discover the problem right here

>run in<

Since DOS is nothing to run in, you need to run it in Microsoft Windows.

You can obtain Microsoft Windows here

I hope this helps.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 2 of 29, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I'd really like to smack everyone who spreads the rumor that you can run old 16bit Windows programs in Dosbox WITHOUT adding more to this information...
YES, you can run old 16bit Windows programs in DOSBox BUT ONLY if you install Windows 3.x in DOSBox.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 3 of 29, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Also, it's ridiculous that we're getting so many of these questions, even though the error message is one of the few that normal human beings actually should be able to understand (; (because it's not very cryptic, like so many others). Maybe we should add a prominently placed entry in the DOSBox readme.

Reply 5 of 29, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

the problem is not understanding the error message but people saying that you can run 16bit Windows programs in Dosbox. So people try it and fail.

DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 7 of 29, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well they are running it in Windows. There is no understanding of emulation so they don't see why running it in DOSBox wouldn't be running it in Windows.

Only way around it I guess is to have DOSBox put up another message on detecting that string.

"YOU CANNOT USE DOSBOX FOR THIS APPLICATION!!!!!!"

Of course then there would be another section of DOSBox users that would then post that new error message here and they would say that the program should run fine because their friend/dog/voice in head told them that they should use DOSBox and obviously they are right and we are wrong. heh.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 9 of 29, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

*cough* as if anyone is reading the readme...

Reply 11 of 29, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

He he, that too

Reply 12 of 29, by bloodbat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, unless it's a 64 bit Windows, they could indeed try running it under their nondosboxed windows and it might even work...
For some actually useful contribution:
There's a DosBox FAQ in the wiki, maybe add a section with the error messages that pop here often and pointers to threads/pages or answers to fix them, like a cd that's not mounted, that windows message and such...
For some fun memory: I recall, such programs DID start Windows if it was in your path.

Reply 13 of 29, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you've got Windows 7 Professional, Enterprise, or Ultimate, you can download and use Windows XP mode to run it. Check it out: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/download.aspx

Reply 14 of 29, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think the 64-bit thing is what is leading some people to try DOSBox, though.

Also, XP mode in Win 7 is a joke for games. It would probably work great for the OP though.

Reply 15 of 29, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

except that the OP isn't even trying to play a game, just an office app 🤣.

Are you sure there's no 32-bit equivelant for this "Day-Timer" by now? Windows 95 was only released 15 years ago. I didn't know 16-bit IT departments would hold on for THIS long, and if they did and had to ask a forum about an obvious message without any attempt at problem solving... this is one sad IT department.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 17 of 29, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
emendelson wrote:

Actually, the old DayTimer programs run directly under Windows 7; no need to go to DOSBox at all. The original poster might try simply installing the program.

You may not be considering the possibility that he is running under 64-bit Win7...

Reply 18 of 29, by emendelson

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
HunterZ wrote:
emendelson wrote:

Actually, the old DayTimer programs run directly under Windows 7; no need to go to DOSBox at all. The original poster might try simply installing the program.

You may not be considering the possibility that he is running under 64-bit Win7...

Absolutely right. I keep trying to forget about 64-bit Windows.