VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Jamesapp

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,
I have spent awhile trying to mount a . img file. I created the file with bochs 2.2.1 bximage application on my Mac.

I then put the file in a folder with some .img files for freedos. I have been reading a couple tutorials, but can't seem to mount the .img file

I thought I should start dosbox mount the drive where my .img files are located and then type

c:\>imgmount d freedos.img

The .img file I created would be in the root level of the c drive, but it won't mount. I get numerous errors and just go around in circles.

I got it to mount once but when I booted my images I couldn't use fdisk to partition my hd where I want to put freedos because my computer wouldn't recognize the drive I think.

My goal is to have a bootable version of freedos, one thing I thought about was using unix's dd command but I am not that familiar, I also have disk utility on my Mac.

If someone could help me that would be great.

Reply 1 of 7, by SKARDAVNELNATE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jamesapp wrote:

c:\>imgmount d freedos.img

The .img file I created would be in the root level of the c drive, but it won't mount.

It looks like you already mounted a folder to be the root of C. Please list all the steps you've taken so far.

Reply 2 of 7, by Jamesapp

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok

I have freedos.img in my home folder on my Mac which is ~
then I start dosbox and
z:\>mount c ~

And dosbox says "drive c is mounted as local directory /users/myname

I just tried at the prompt

z:\>imgmount d c:/freedos.img

My computer says could extract drive geometry from image, and then to use parameter -size to specify geometry

Does that mean there is something wrong with my .img file? Shouldn't it mount?

Reply 3 of 7, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Try imgmount d c:\freedos.img -t cdrom

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 4 of 7, by Jamesapp

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I tried unflinching as a cd and as a floppy the cd I got back mscdex: failure invalid file or unable to open

And the floppy I got back can't create drive from file

I am wondering why imgmount won't let me mount this image. I was reading in another thread where people were talking about installing windows 3.1 in dosbox, I don't understand why I can't install freedos in dosbox.

I can just boot from the freedos .img files but then I can't run fdisk to partition my drive. I thought about partitioning my hard drive from the unix command line, or disk utility on my Mac? Would that work if I could somehow partition my hd and then open dosbox boot to the freedos .img files format the drive and then install freedos?

Reply 7 of 7, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Please follow that guide Sample usage of a harddisc image in DOSBOX
and when applicable use the freedos floppy image instead of the Dos floppy image.
And when you follow it and you get to a problem, please post EXACTLY what you did and the exact error message or problem.

Edit: oh, and maybe name the hard drive image something other than freedos, it gets confusing to figure out whether you mean the floppy image or hard drive image....