VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by ih8registrations

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It gets applied to everything. I'm curious to see some pics of it applied to DOSBox. Ah, there's an MLAA tool: http://www.rage3d.com/articles/catalyst_2011_ … n/index.php?p=7 The tool is supposed to work with anything(CPU implementation), but unfortunately it crashes for me.

Reply 1 of 6, by bloodbat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The latest drivers are 10.12(a)...also...WTF are you talking about?
You can AA (scalers, you know?) from within DosBox, also, while some of the ideas about interpolating polygons and 2D graphics are similar...why bother?
Thing is...DosBox is meant to be portable, so, even if you like your videocard, that feature is most likely Windows only...so...if you want it, write a patch...(if you want it real time)
"The disadvantages of MLAA are the same as its advantages - it applies to everything. Steam overlay, GFWL, in-game subtitles, transparent textures, deferred lighting engines, batman - all of it gets the edges smoothed off. " Could be a blessing...could be a curse...
Also...what's the truth in that article?
First: "in-game subtitles, transparent textures, deferred lighting engines, batman - all of it gets the edges smoothed off. The algorithm itself uses the hardware provided for implementing DirectX 11"
Then...
"Using it is simple, just provide the input file and path and the output path and let 'er rip! The executable uses a CPU implementation of MLAA, and so doesn't require an AMD, or even DirectX 11, graphics card."

So either you need the hardware or you don't...in the end, you do.

I have a HD 5770 (yes, it does support it), and, seriously, I couldn't care less...
People say it blurs some stuff beyond all usability.

Also, clearly, mlaa.exe states that you need a PNG INPUT, so it will output the effect on your *static* graphics, so what did you expect?

Enjoy the picture...it looks like crap...

Attachments

• MLAA_tie_000.png
    Filename
    MLAA_tie_000.png
    File size
    93.5 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 2 of 6, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

There seem to be two incarnations of this, the driver-level MLAA (hardware accelerated) which
is what ih8regs would like to see, and the cpu-based png converter (identical quality??).

Reply 3 of 6, by tannerstevo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeah, pretty much ususable in windowed mode

Attachments

• Dosbox Window.png
    Filename
    Dosbox Window.png
    File size
    117.9 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 6 of 6, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That's interesting. I was actually expecting it to work better. The results in 3D games totally remind me of HQ2X (etc) with how things such as text get reshaped.

Although I don't really like the way it reshapes things. I also tend to stay away from scalers in DOSBOX and emulators for the same reason. I'd rather have the original pixelation and jagged look.... But in 3D games I'd rather have MSAA or SSAA.