VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by dabonetn

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

How do I do a crtl-break key combo on modern keyboards with dosbox?
Something as simple as dir/p I can't abort. (ctrl-c doesn't work).

later,
dabone

Reply 1 of 17, by valnar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Interesting. I never noticed that before.

The DIR command is emulated and not in any way "real" compared to DOS or Windows, so since ctrl-C doesn't work, it probably has to be coded by the DOSBox devs to accept that.

And welcome to the forum. 😉

Reply 2 of 17, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

if you know of a game that relies on this behaviour, than we might be interested in coding support for it.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 3 of 17, by dabonetn

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I noticed this behavior just by having a large directory and trying to list part of it.
I unzipped 800 games into a sub directory and would like to be able to do a simple dir/p and abort the listing when I see something I like.
How is that a strange request? I wonder why nobody hasn't asked for it before? As a dos user from the original days, (And sometime before), I used crtl-break quite a bit, but not for gaming. Basic programming, and writing batch files, yes, but for games, no.

Later,
dabone

Reply 4 of 17, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

You use your operating system for browsing and Dosbox for gameing... That's mostly the reason why no one remarked on it before. That the ctrl-c break doesn't work is known though (but since itnisn't needed for playing games...)

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 5 of 17, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dabonetn wrote:
I noticed this behavior just by having a large directory and trying to list part of it. I unzipped 800 games into a sub director […]
Show full quote

I noticed this behavior just by having a large directory and trying to list part of it.
I unzipped 800 games into a sub directory and would like to be able to do a simple dir/p and abort the listing when I see something I like.
How is that a strange request? I wonder why nobody hasn't asked for it before? As a dos user from the original days, (And sometime before), I used crtl-break quite a bit, but not for gaming. Basic programming, and writing batch files, yes, but for games, no.

Later,
dabone

You could try making an "A" folder for game folders that begin with the letter "A", one for games that begin with the letter "B", and so on.

Reply 6 of 17, by valnar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Considering all the difficult things DOSBox emulates, how hard would it be to put in a ctrl-break for the directory command? Or maybe just check for Escape? Sounds like the easiest request in recent memory.

Reply 7 of 17, by BastetFurry

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

You use your operating system for browsing and Dosbox for gameing... That's mostly the reason why no one remarked on it before. That the ctrl-c break doesn't work is known though (but since itnisn't needed for playing games...)

My Norton Commander 5.5 install begs to differ, perl for dos and
fbc-dos wants a word too over here! 😁

Reply 8 of 17, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

games?

DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 10 of 17, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

sorry I should have added a 😀
Skarda: don't you know Norton Commander? It's THE swiss knife of Dos file managers 😀

Reply 11 of 17, by BastetFurry

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yep, when i need a file manager i still stick to two-panels where f5 copies a file and f8 deletes it. Never got warm with "Explorer"-Style of file management and dont let me start with Amiga Workbench, my arch-nemesis when it comes to managing files. 😉

@Topic:
I might get arsed the next days to look into a more classic and original command.com emulation, if the dev team is interested in such work. Dont want my work to end like the NE2000 feature...

Reply 12 of 17, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Dont want my work to end like the NE2000 feature...

There's a patch on sourceforge, if it's yours where's the problem?

And before starting coding you may want to post your ideas about the "classicality"
of your new command.com and why it's needed, but please open a new topic.

Reply 13 of 17, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
BastetFurry wrote:

I might get arsed the next days to look into a more classic and original command.com emulation

As discussed in DOSBOX v0.72 - DIR /B COMMAND there are already command.com alternatives that work quite nicely in DOSBox.

Reply 14 of 17, by BastetFurry

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

There's a patch on sourceforge, if it's yours where's the problem?

I havent coded for dosbox yet so no patches from me. 😀

And before starting coding you may want to post your ideas about the "classicality"
of your new command.com and why it's needed, but please open a new topic.

Just making it behave like the original. And the why... because it would stop OPs problem and all peoples problems who need an original, as in it works that way in MS-DOS 6.22, behaviour.

Reply 15 of 17, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

the problem with break is not at command.com level.(the command line interpreter part)
of course we could hack it in for only dir/p but not in general.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 16 of 17, by SKARDAVNELNATE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Dominus wrote:

Skarda: don't you know Norton Commander?

Yeah, it was loaded on my first computer 22 years ago and I've used it on all of my DOS systems since. I was making a joke about the name and the context of the thread.

Reply 17 of 17, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Oops 😉
Am shutting of now...